My favourite gingerbread cookies

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Gingerbread cookies

Gingerbread cookies

For Christmas this year (well I guess it's technically last year) I decided to make gingerbread cookies (aka biscuits) to gift to family. Edible gifts really are the best, aren't they? Although I typically associate gingerbread with Christmas and therefore winter, I was spending this Christmas in sunny Sydney. Nevertheless, the cookies won out and I made a big batch. They were a bit harder to make in the heat, but still doable. I figured it was too hot to ice them, so once they came out of the oven I simply wrapped them up in coloured cellophane and tied pretty ribbons around them. I also kept a few for myself, of course, and enjoyed them while drinking tea and reading Sew Liberated. Perhaps tomorrow I'll share a project I ended up making from that book... But for now, I'll share the recipe for these, my favourite, gingerbread bikkies.

Gingerbread

125 g unsalted butter
1/3 cup soft brown sugar
1/4 cup golden syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup self-raising flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (350 degrees fahrenheit). Line two baking trays with baking paper.

Cream butter, sugar and golden syrup with electric beaters. Add egg gradually. Sift the dry ingredients in and mix with a knife (or your hands) until just combined. Knead for 1-2 minutes. Roll out the dough between two sheets of baking paper to 5 mm (1/4 inch) thick. Refrigerate for 15 minutes (this will make it easier to cut the shapes out).

Cut the dough into shapes. I used my favourite Ikea cookie cutters. Love those forest critters! Bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. I like to slightly under bake mine so they remain soft. Let cool completely.

Wrap up nicely and give away, but don't forget to save some for yourself!

3 comments:

  1. Edible gifts are the best indeed! And those cookies look perfect and wonderful, I'm sure if I try this I'll burn everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made some ginger snaps the other night...and homemade are just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gingerbread are a fave here too!
    love those Ikea animals ♥

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger