Quilting in Canberra

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

quilting in canberra

The helping hands of a cousin

my first quilt

The finished product!

DSC_0374

A few weekends ago, the husband and I drove up to Canberra for a weekend of quilting and family time. It was absolutely freezing there, quite a shock to our systems. Despite the cold, or indeed because of it, we had a lovely time staying inside, drinking tea and quilting. The husband's aunt guided me through making my first quilt step by step, and when it wasn't quite finished, I bundled it up and brought it home with me. Sitting in our stuffy living room, I finally finished my quilt just in time for summer. Awesome.

It's made with Anna Maria Horner's Folksy Flannels, and backed and bound with something I picked up from a local quilting shop. The batting is the softest cotton, also from a quilting shop. I love all of Anna Maria Horner's fabric, but that flannel is especially magical. I've already made a duvet cover, two pillows and now this quilt from the line. It's safe to say, I'm in love. As for the actual quilting, I hand quilted it with embroidery thread for a rustic look. It was time consuming, but I really enjoyed the process. Next time, I think I'll try hand quilting with quilting cotton. Of course, when I finished the husband asked: "So what's it for?" Cheers, thanks husband.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger