Banana muffins

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

banana muffins

I hate wasting food, so this weekend when I noticed that all of my bananas were quickly going bad thanks to the heat (when will I learn that this isn't Canada and I can't leave fruit outside in 40 degree weather?) I knew it was time to make some muffins. I've tried a lot of different recipes for banana muffins, some healthier than others. The recipe that I'm sharing here is one of the semi-healthy ones. It's adapted from Katie Lee Joel's The Comfort Table, a cookbook that I turn to pretty often. So, want to know what to do with your overripe bananas?

Banana muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour (or white flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup rapadura (or white sugar)
1/2 cup coconut oil (or canola oil)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 medium bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (350 degrees fahrenheit). Grease a muffin tin; this recipe made 12 regular size muffins and 4 mini muffins. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

banana muffins

banana muffins

In another bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla until well combined. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk in three additions. Gently stir in the bananas.

banana muffins

Pour the batter into the muffin tin and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

banana muffins

Enjoy your muffins with a cup of tea!

6 comments:

  1. While these muffins look YUM YUM, I couldn't help but notice how much I LOVE your darling apron! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum I LOVE banana muffins! Those look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oohhh yumm. these are my favorites. and i never feel bad eating them because bananas are good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look amazing. why oh why do I not have an oven right now?

    also: I think I will try the accessory route when I am reunited with my sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so yummy! I have an old banana so I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have two brown bananas sitting on my counter right now. I was saving them for bread but I think I'm going to do these instead!

    www.markandjamiewalker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger