Homemade breakfast

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

homemade granola and yoghurt

I try really hard to be mindful about the food that I buy, cook and eat. I'm not perfect by any means, and I have a major sweet tooth, but most of the time I try to eat healthy, home cooked meals because it's better for us and it's better for our wallets. Groceries are really expensive in Australia, and I find that breakfast staples are especially pricey. Making things from scratch is usually so much cheaper than store bought versions, and for a while now I've been hoping to replace my organic store bought yoghurt with homemade. While my mom was out here in November she gave me some pointers, and I successfully made yoghurt a couple of times but then couldn't get it right again. So I turned to the internet and found SouleMama's awesome tutorial on how she makes yoghurt. Coupled with my mother in law's yoghurt making thermos, I've been successfully making yoghurt for the last few weeks. Yahtzee!

While perusing SouleMama's tutorials, I also found a recipe for granola that looked yummy. I gave it a go last week and have been eating it for breakfast ever since. It's so yummy and much easier than I thought. Double yahtzee! So if you're wanting to save a few bucks, and make more from scratch you should definitely check out SouleMama's tutorials. Making yoghurt is seriously easy, and it feels so good to know that you've made all of your food from scratch. Do you guys have any yummy breakfast recipes to share? Or any tips for saving money at the grocery store?

making yoghurt

Heating the milk over low heat,

making yoghurt

then you add in your starter yoghurt,

making yoghurt

and plop it in some sort of heating device, this thermos worked perfectly.

making granola

chopping almonds for granola

making granola
turning the granola during cooking time

9 comments:

  1. Well you learn something new everyday!
    I used to make yoghurt when we lived in NZ because they have airing/drying cupboards over there.
    But ive never thought to buy a thermos for one. Also love the part about chopping almonds for muesli which ive never thought to do, silly me. I put mine in whole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks fabulous! I could eat yogurt and granola for breakfast every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between making your own yogurt, granola, and dolls, you are pretty much my hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy! I'm definitely going to have to save the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home made yoghurt is the best. We use a thermos for ours too.
    I've never had granola before, it looks delicious. I make dry roasted museli for our breakfast. The recipe is somewhere in my blog archives.
    The walnut shoes are really comfy by the way.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love homemade yogurt :) my grandfather has always made it ever since i was a little girl. he takes so much pride in his yogurt and loves the entire process. lately i've been trying to eat more fruits/veggies and less meat/dairy and i've felt amazing. i think its so important to pay attention to what goes into our bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loooove granola. I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I came here via aurajoon because I saw you are also someone who moved to Sydney for love. I hope you don't mind if I stick around?

    Our favourite breakfast recipes: pancakes, scrambled eggs on toast with mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes, cheese and any other tasty veggies we can dig out of the crisper and breakfast burritos (scrambled eggs with burrito fixings - usually no beans or rice though...). Writing that list down, I realise we are not very adventurous with breakfast unless it's the weekend. Normally we have cereal and toast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenna - thank you!

    Kimia - I totally agree with you. I've been eating way too much meat/dairy and it doesn't leave me feeling great.

    Marfio - Please do stick around!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger