I'm back!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

road trip 2011
road trip 2011
So strange
road trip 2011
I just want to point out that this submarine is in a town that's about 500 miles inland. Riddle me that.
road trip 2011

road trip 2011
Melbourne! We had lunch at this cute cafe in St Kilda, and then wandered down to the beach where we passed this cute community garden.
road trip 2011

road trip 2011
me on a Melbourne beach
road trip 2011

koalas at a "zoo" somewhere, can you tell that I lOVED them?

We're home! Husband and I stumbled back into our freezing cold flat (which will happen if you accidentally leave on the a/c on all friggin week, bah!) late last night. We had a wonderful time away, which was slightly more spontaneous than initially planned. We had thought that we would drive to Victoria and spend a whole week camping and climbing at Mt Arapiles, but the weather had different plans in store. Being the flexible (read, disorganized) people that we are, we opted for a road trip and descended upon various friends and family along the way. First we celebrated a family birthday in Canberra, then it was off to Melbourne for a couple of days of shopping and hanging with family and friends. Finally, we did make it to Mt Arapiles but I'll post about that later.

These photos are all from the driving/Melbourne portion of our trip. Believe me when I tell you that driving through Australia is an interesting experience. Just check out all the giant things we saw: giant Ned Kelly, giant Koala, dog on tuckerbox (weird, so weird). We also saw a sign for "infamous pies" in country NSW; I have a feeling they don't know what "infamous" means. We also had a funny encounter at a pub in Holbrook when I asked the bartender about an item in the vegetarian section of their menu. "These 'veggie patties,' is it just a veggie burger?" I asked. "No," answered the bartender, "they're just patties. But you can have them with chicken salad." Um, ok... Man oh man, I love road tripping.

11 comments:

  1. Glad that you are back and that you had a fun trip! Take time to unwind from the vacation! It's very important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for stopping by, I am pleased to know that someone else loves tea and all things tea related too.

    Welcome home to you both. Wow you did have a great time. I love the tables in that St Kilda cafe, I love formica tables and we sold ours last year and I replaced it with an oak extendable table.

    I did have a wee giggle at the veggie pattie comment from the bartender....oh dear...Wow that Ned Kelly is huge.

    We enjoyed our visit to the Old Melbourne Gaol last year. We even got to see a short play about Ned Kelly while we were there. Was fascinating to learn more about him and other well known criminals of years gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha. Have them with chicken salad. I love the photo with the random submarine in the middle. It looks like you had a really nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Looks like you guys had a blast (even if you didn't do what you originally planned)! I am so in love with these koalas!! The weather looks gorgeous from your photos!

    PS - When we went climbing a couple weekends ago, it WAS pretty chilly, but it wasn't too bad! I was still sweating by the end of the day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adventure...poor Tucker...I mean, I know guys raz each other all the time, but to have your unlucky day forever encapsulated in a statue...well, I hope he could laugh about it! :) Love those little koalas...they are super cute! Glad you had a nice trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness these pics are absolutely amazing! I love Koala bears, they are just so amazingly cute & such interesting animals. And I love your outfit in the "melbourne beach" photo, SO lovely. Haha, too funny about the veggie patties. xx veronika

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really need to visit australia! i have been dying to ever since i was little. koalas are my favorite. i used to have that koala crossing sign in my room but i have no idea where it went!

    oh and look at how cute you look in elsie's kite dress!

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  8. CB and Veronika - thanks! I love my new kite dress, and I'll probably post about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to see those cute animals again!

    Aron
    www.babymine.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the patty comment - it reminds me of rissoles. I thought they were things that just didn't exist in England but there are pretty much just burgers... or patties!

    It looks like you had a great trip and some interesting experiences!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

this little port All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger