Sewing smocks

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

DSC_0808

tunic
excuse the tape, my physio put it there to fix my wrists
tunic


I love to sew (in case you hadn't noticed) but I rarely make clothes for myself. There's just so much more room for error when something has to fit you, and it's very disappointing to realize that something isn't quite right after you've spent hours making it, not to mention the cost of fabric. So I mostly stick to sewing bags and house stuff, but I'm hoping to change that. One of the first pieces of clothing that I attempted was this Smashing Smock from Anna Maria Horner's book Seams to Me. I first made the grey version you see above with fabric from Ikea. It was slightly too big but I still wear it. Then I made the blue version in the top 2 photos with some Anna Maria Horner fabric (Little Folks line) and I over corrected and made it slightly too small. But I still wear it. See what I mean? It's so hard to get it just so. Maybe a third version is in order...

* I'm away camping right now, but I hope you enjoyed this pre-scheduled post. xx

5 comments:

  1. I love those prints! As a person who does not sew (I said non-sewer at first but that sounds all wrong), I am mightily impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh these are so cute! i wish i knew how to sew....its on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness, Gaby! I absolutely adore these beautiful tops & you've picked such lovely fabrics too -LOVE. xx veronika

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are enjoying your camping trip! I love the little button closures on the back of these. I think you did nicely, but i totally can understand how hard it is to fir things just perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying to get the right fit is really tough, the only thing I have seemed to master is skirts. I try dresses and they look crazy! Your smocks look great though!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger