Chocolate chunk cookie recipe

Thursday, April 14, 2011

I love cookies (or bikkies as they're called here in Australia). I really, really do. And I'm always trying new recipes in my search for the perfect cookie recipe. Well folks, I'm getting closer and I thought I'd share my not-quite-perfect-but-we're-getting-closer cookie recipe today. I also thought I'd post many photos of the process, rather than just a shot of the finished product. Also, I'm going to try to speak both North American and Aussie here so it makes sense to everyone. Here goes...

What you'll need

- 21/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bi-carb soda)
- pinch salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (which is about 225 grams)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 200 grams coarsely chopped chocolate of your choice, milk or dark (7 ounces)

**TIP - it's best if you can bring all of your ingredients (i.e. butter and eggs) to room temperature before you start baking. It'll make your cookies even better, but don't sweat it if you forget or don't have the time.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (350 degrees fahrenheit). Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Cream the butter and the sugars together.

Add the eggs in and the vanilla and beat together until combined.

In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.

Throw in your roughly chopped chocolate. I used 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of dark chocolate and 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of milk chocolate and it was yummy!

Spoon your cookies onto the cookies sheets. Use an ice cream scoop if you have it, otherwise just a spoon will do.

Set your timer (preferably a pink pig) for 10 minutes. Here's where it gets tricky. Everyone's oven is different, and everyone likes their cookies slightly different. I like my cookies to be chewy, pretty much half baked. I also have a weird oven that doesn't distribute heat very well. So I put my cookies in for 5 minutes, then take the tray out and rotate it. I then leave them for another 5 minutes. You may want to leave your cookies for 12-15 minutes, depending on how you like them. Experiment, and tell me how you go!

Finally, once you pull your cookies out of the oven, leave them to cool on a wire rack.

Then pile them on a plate and start eating!

8 comments:

  1. oh Gaby they look good, I love Lindt chocolate. I might have to whip a batch of these up for our guests tomorrow. Have you ever made these Nigella bikkies? They are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got home from my father-in-laws, and I was looking through the pantry for something sweet, hoping I had a cookie somewhere. Instead I found my stash of Lindt bars (I seriously budget for my chocolate). Hubs decided he wanted to go make a cinnamon roll run, but I wish I had seen the blog feed before he left-I would have whipped up a batch of these Gaby. They looks so yummy!!! I will be bookmarking this recipe, and making it very, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I have no idea why I did not spell check that for typos. You know what I was trying to say. (hopefully)

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look and sound delicious! I love the idea of chocolate chunks rather than plain old chocolate chips! And I love your pink pig timer! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part is the "pile them on a plate and start eating" part :)

    Hubs LOVES chocolate chip cookies (with walnuts), we make a lot of batches around our house :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds delicious, have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cookies look too delicious for words! Love sweets.

    I'm having a $100 dollar Shopbop giftcard GIVEAWAY on my blog! Come check it out :) It's open to international bloggers as well.

    Collections Giveaway

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger