Guest post: Lost in Wishful Thinking

Friday, April 29, 2011

* Today I have a stunning guest post to share with you all. Hannah is a fellow Aussie blogger who lives just up the road from me (not really, Brisbane is surprisingly far away) and takes the most gorgeous photos. Be sure to head on over to her blog and have a look around...


Hi, I'm Hannah from "lost in wishful thinking" a little blog I started to post my own photography. Today I'm doing a guest post here for Gaby, but with a different twist from my own usual posts.

I am a frequent op-shopper, and op-shops always seem to have an abundance of doilies. I like to use them as simple decoration around my room, placing them underneath a vase, lamp or my jewellery box. After being inspired by similar creations, I have recently given some new life to doilies as bunting, and as a pillow decoration; with all items being bought from local op-shops.


For the bunting, I bought several doilies in different shapes/sizes, as well as some bias binding -the length of the bunting is entirely up to how long you would like it. First, I cut them in half, and arranged them along the binding (leaving some room either end to tie the bunting up). When I was happy with the arrangement, I pinned them in place between the fold of the binding, and then sewed a straight stitch along the binding to secure. This can be hung along a wall, window, or bed!


For the pillow, it was pretty simple; What I did was pin the doily where I wanted it, and sewed a few stitches in place over the doily to hold it in place. You can decorate it further with other doilies, ribbon or buttons.

I hope these simple ideas might inspire you to look at the humble doily in a different way, and get creative!

Thanks Gaby for having me! :)

6 comments:

  1. Love the doily bunting, what a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little banner Hannah made with the doilies. So sweet.

    Yes, tornados terrify me. I always jump when the sirens go off. I'm so sorry for all the people down south who got hit so hard. It just flattened some towns.

    P.S.-Thanks for the well wishes-the boys are all better with the exception of a couple of sniffles and runny noses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in LOVE with that doily banner! That would be so gorgeous at a quaint outdoor wedding. Very creative use of the different shapes and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the pillow is my favorite! i love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger