How to make a green smoothie

Wednesday, April 20, 2011


I discovered green smoothies last year, and I've been a big fan ever since. I don't know about you, but I am way more likely to consume 2-3 cups of spinach if I'm drinking it and it's sweet, then if it's heaped in a bowl with some olive oil on top. I guess my brain just needs to be tricked. So, if you'd like to know how to make your own green smoothie, keep reading...

How to make a green smoothie

You will need:
- baby spinach (you can also use kale but spinach is an easier flavour to mask)
- a banana (if it's frozen, even better)
- fruit!
- water

As you can see, it's not really a recipe. Basically, I just throw a bunch (seriously, use a lot) of baby spinach into my blender with about a cup of cold water and I blend the hell out of it. Then I add a banana (I usually freeze bananas for this purpose) and any other fruit I have on hand. Certain things work better than others though. For example, apple - not so good. But oranges, melons, pears, kiwis etc. are great. Just use whatever is in season, and play around until you find a combination you like. You can add honey if you like it sweeter, or you can use almond milk or normal milk as the base instead of water if you prefer. And if you'd like to serve a not-so-green smoothie to someone, throw in some berries and it'll turn purple. And voila, you've tricked someone into drinking a whole bunch of spinach!

p.s. Don't forget to enter my first giveaway! (sorry to keep reminding you guys...)

8 comments:

  1. I love green smoothies, I have one every morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. i looove green juice! my dad is a crazy vegan who blends his salad for lunch (instead of munching on it)- he goes a little nuts with the greens and other various veggies, but adding fruit (especially pineapple!) works wonders on flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo nice. i definitely need more green in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds delish! And now that its getting warmer around these parts, its about time I break out my blender :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sounding recipe...love that it looks delish, sounds like it tastes delish, and is really GOOD for you :)

    Time to dust off the old blender ;)

    xx Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I've heard it's also called a Green Monster :)

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love green smoothies! Sometimes I also add other veggies too, like carrots. It's true that if you throw a few sweet things in there you can't taste the veggies at all!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger