Jumping on the chia bandwagon

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pretty strange looking, eh?

I've actually been on the chia seed bandwagon for a while now. Chia seeds contain a lot of protein, calcium, potassium, iron and essential fatty acids so they're super good for you and when you mix them with water they gel up. I first discovered what an awesome breakfast they make here in sweltering Sydney a couple of years ago. But I've also recently discovered a way to eat them in winter that's yummy as well, so I'll share both quickly. In Australia you can find them at health food shops (like About Life).

Summer
In the photos above, I mixed up:
4 cups water
2/3 cups chia

Put that in the fridge for a while to gel up and get cold (I like it better when its cold) and then when you want breakfast, spoon some into a bowl and add honey and whatever fruit you have on hand.

Winter
In winter, you can blend up:
1 tablespoon chia
2 tablespoons water
one fruit (pears are good in winter)
cinnamon
5 cashews

It becomes creamy and the cinnamon gives it some warmth, which is nicer in winter. This recipe comes from, Carlin, a brilliant naturopath here in Sydney.

And speaking of bandwagons, kale chips here I come...

6 comments:

  1. They look and sound fantastic Gaby. I can't wait to try this... I'm always on the look out for nutritious foods. Love the new bloggy banner too, by the way. xx veronika

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog :) I am your new reader, great posts....

    visit my new blog and be my follower if you want: http://thefashion-berries.blogspot.com/

    have a nice days
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love chia seeds, I usually just throw them into smoothies but I like the weird gel texture too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen these before but they seem interesting! I want to give them a go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i lovelovelove chia seeds! i usually mix them with almond milk adn cinnamon. makes a really yummy pudding.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger