Thanksgiving in July

Monday, July 25, 2011



one of Amanda's friends iced this cake to be a perfect replica of the american flag, cute hey?


This weekend, my lovely yoga friend Amanda hosted a thanksgiving in July dinner party. She's from Chicago and figured that celebrating thanksgiving while it's cold outside makes more sense than waiting until November when it's boiling. So she made the most authentic thanksgiving feast: turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie.

My contribution: cornbread muffins. And boy oh boy is it hard to explain cornbread to
Aussies :) Pumpkin pie is equally perplexing; most Aussies seem to expect it to be savoury and when they realize it's sweet they either love it or hate it. Of course, I love it and I love finding ways of adapting traditions with my fellow expats!

7 comments:

  1. I confuse easily which is why I was perplexed about the weather for about two seconds. Then I had to remember that the southern hemisphere isn't sweltering right now. You are so lucky. We are all melting in North America!!

    What fun! Love that cake, everything looks splendid :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE pumpkin pie! one of my former bosses was american and brought it in for us one thanksgiving and it was so very yummy - i wish they sold it in cafes etc here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cornbread & pumpkin pie. enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! I'm all about celebrating holidays at the "wrong" time of the year :) Christmas in July is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a fun idea!

    I've always thought of having a year with the holidays all mixed around to be celebrated at different times of the year. don't you think it helps to remember the real meanings?
    it also sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh how tasty! Making me crave turkey.

    xo,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm everything looks so delicious! looks like a lovely time :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger