My top 3 craft books

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Today I thought I'd share my 3 favourite crafty books. I only learned how to sew a couple of years ago and while I love it, I can't say that I'm amazingly talented. I rarely make clothes (because they're hard and it's frustrating when they don't fit right!), and instead I mostly create things for my home. These books definitely reflect that... not a lot of clothes, but some awesome inspiration nevertheless!

1. Meet me at Mike's by Pip Lincolne. This is the first craft book I bought, and the one I've used the most. See here, here, here and here for some examples of things I've made (but you can also just search my blog for 'meet me at mike's'). This book is PERFECT for beginners and has sewing, crochet, knitting and paper projects. Having met Pip last time I went to Melbourne, I can also say that she's the sweetest gal around and you must visit her gorgeous shop if you ever get the chance.


2. The Crafty Minx by Kelly Doust. This is another wonderful book for beginner sewers. Most of the patterns are for simple things to make and use around your home. See here, here and here for a few of the things I've made. I've also had the pleasure of meeting Kelly Doust and she's so lovely and talented it's not even funny.


3. Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter. This book is chock-a-block with beautiful patterns that aren't too hard to make. And it happens to have the one pattern that I've used the most: the tote bag. I've made/helped make this bag 5 or 6 times! I can't say that I've met Lotta, but I'm sure she's great too :)


So there you have it... my desert island crafty books! What are your faves?

4 comments:

  1. I love Simple Sewing for Baby. It's been easy for me to make things for my baby. I also scored a copy of Reader's Digest Sewing Guide from the 60's. It's incredibly thorough. I will get this simple sewing book too! Thanks!

    Kacie
    http://www.acollectionofpassions.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been jonsing for the Meet me at Mike's book ever since you started sharing your projects! Now if I can convince the hubs to let me buy it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my those little booties in the last post are just darling.
    And thanks for the suggestions on craft books. I have looked at them at the book store but have always wanted to get one.
    And I am a HUGE fan of prenatal yoga. That's awesome you are teaching it. That was one of the few things that really prepared me for giving birth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have been wanting to sew since i was a little girl but never took the time (or cultivated enough patience) to learn.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger