New Zealand: part 2, my birthday/Christmas

Friday, January 13, 2012

As you read in this post, normally my birthday is spent at family Christmas events. But this year husband and I were in New Zealand, just the two of us, and he decided to forfeit his Christmas in order to celebrate my birthday. He's a good man. And celebrate we did.

On the day I turned 25 on the 25th I...

Woke up in Wanaka, NZ, and slept in.

Ate berry pancakes that husband made.

Chatted with my mom and my grandma on the phone.


Wandered around the lake.

DSC_0261


Kayaked to Ruby Island where we had a picnic and went for a swim.

DSC_0280

{kayaking pics by husband}

DSC_0277

Went for another swim in this crazy cool swimming hole where we met awesome Frenchies and did an "obstacle course" of sorts that involved walking upstream and then chucking ourselves into the cold, cold water and letting it carry us downstream, only stopping occasionally to jump off cliffs. Wish I had taken photos!

DSC_0292

Came back to our hotel where I practiced yoga by myself on the grass while husband made this yummy vegetarian dinner for me.

DSC_0296


He even made me a chocolate cake! And that man is NOT a baker and has no sweet tooth whatsoever.

DSC_0300


And finally, we went for a walk at sunset back down to the lake. This photo of me on the right is pretty funny. There were all of these trees shedding little white fluffy bits all over the grass, and I got excited and pretended we were having a white Christmas. In the southern hemisphere. Not so much...

DSC_0329

DSC_0343
{last 2 photos by husband}

Went to sleep, happy and grateful for the best birthday I've had in a very long time.

p.s. New Zealand posts will continue next week, so many photos!

14 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that sounds and looks so perfect!!!
    and that swimming hole sounds amaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps the photos are really great the seconod last one is surreal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Im loving all these NZ posts! The mountains around the lake are incredible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Happy (belated) birthday!! Can't wait to see the rest of the photos from your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday! Beautiful pics :) Looks like you had a pretty perfect day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday (again)! What a great bday you had! Perfection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so beautiful! i love your pictures. maybe i can make a suggestion of this for my next birthday (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. you look great, the last picture is soo pretty, love your outfit in here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pics of Wanaka! Looks magic xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gaby what a stunning place & amazingly lovely birthday celebration, looks absolutely lovely!! Aw, and I adore your dress in that first photo, it's seriously the sweetest little pattern ever. :)

    As for your cleanse question?! Nope, Martin doesn't join me but we only have one meal together - so that keeps it nice & simple. ;) Hope your weekend is lovely!! xo veronika

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a perfect birthday!! glad you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE that sailboat dress! Looks like it was a fun birthday. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so jealous! This looks absolutely amazing! & lucky you got to be there for you bday!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger