New Zealand: part 3

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Next up on our tour of New Zealand was Milford Sound, Queenstown and Mt Cook. All were wonderful, but I would say that Milford Sound was a major highlight of our whole trip.

west coast, nz

west coast, nz

The above two photos were taken by husband in Bruce Bay. It reminded me so much of the West Coast of BC, where I'm from.

nz


Milford Sound! Like I said, Milford Sound was absolute magic. When we first got there, after a very long drive, I was a bit nonplussed. It was beautiful, but so was most of the country. We got settled and went to bed super early and rose before the sun the next morning.

milford sound

By 7 am we were on the water for a kayak tour with Rosco's Milford Kayaks, along with two other couples and our hilarious guide, Ollie. We were lucky in so many ways that day. For one thing, it was sunny and clear, a rarity for a part of the world that gets as much rain as my hometown. Starting so early also meant that there was hardly anyone else in the sound (which is, incidentally, not a sound at all but a fjord), just us and our kayaks.


The other people doing the kayak tour were awesome, we even ended up driving one of the couples all the way back to Queenstown later on. Our guide was wickedly funny while also being super knowledgeable. At one point I asked, "Are there dolphins?"

His answer: "You mean, do dolphins exist? Yes they do. But we probably won't see any."

On the topic of capsizing he explained without cracking a smile: "If one of you capsizes, the rest of us will raft up [line our kayaks up side by side] so that we have a more stable base... from which to laugh at you."

milford sound

Luckily for us, no one capsized. Even more luckily for us, we saw dolphins! I was pretty delighted at the dozens of seals we saw. Friendly little guys who would dart under your boat and then come up to get a look at you. But when we noticed a pod of dolphins I gasped and started clapping my hands and jumping up and down, as best as one can jump in a kayak.

I thought that was as good as it could get, and then a few minutes later a second pod passed right by our boats. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

lupins in nz

Highways in New Zealand are dotted with these beautiful lupins.

lupins in nz

lupins in nz

Mt Cook! To be perfectly honest, Mt Cook wasn't my favorite part of the trip. It was the first time we had bad weather, and we allotted a bit too much time to this part of the trip. We did do one great hike though that took us up past tarns and spectacular views of Mt Cook, ending at Mueller Hut.

mt cook

mt cook

mt cook

mt cook


mt cook

Me in my Canadian tuxedo, as husband calls it. Denim on denim, oh yeah.


A much deserved hot chocolate after our 6 hour hike!

mt cook

mt cook

DSC_0054

Thanks again for having a look at our New Zealand photos! Only one more post to go, Christchurch...

10 comments:

  1. WOW! What stunning views! Your pictures are beautiful so I can't imagine what it was actually like in real life.
    I also rather like your Canadian "tuxedo" tehe very cute!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your blog. Pretty nice photos of thaaat place far far away =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO very glad I stumbled upon your blog. I'm thinking of moving to Australia or New Zealand for my next big adventure. your pictures are gorgeous and i love the canadian tux!!

    xo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my.... these pictures are stunning! I am SO jealous of your adventures :)
    And 2 sighting of dolphins? Amazing! I'd love to see them up close in the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a gorgous place! i love kayaking...my dad and sister have capsized before but i never have, it looks kinda fun if you do it at the spot you pick, ha (;

    southernpinky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. to go kayaking in NZ would be a dream!!! so jealous!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. My. Goodness. So jealous of your hiking trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooo no wonder gentri picked you once upon a time. your pictures are gorgeous. now i can have adventures vicariously through your blog! perfect!

    thanks for stopping by my blog. i hope to see you around more often!!

    love,
    mrs. dtf

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh! This looks amazing. I want to go to New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your photos are totally amazing...i felt in love!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger