do you check your phone first thing in the morning?

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

photo by Sonja Sipala

Ok, so I was talking to my friend Katie the other day about meditating. A few of us were lamenting the fact that we suck at meditating and just can't quite seem to get into the habit of it.

Her advice...

For God's sake don't touch your phone when you first wake up!

She went on to explain that that small window of time when you first wake up is the perfect time to meditate, and the worst possible time to overstimulate your brain by grabbing your phone and checking twitter. Fair point.

I have to admit that up until recently my morning routine did consist of turning my alarm off (I use my iphone as an alarm), and then proceeding to check my various email accounts, instagram, facebook and sometimes even twitter. Now, I set my phone on airplane mode so that I still use it as an alarm, but first thing in the morning I'm not tempted to dive into social networking. I can't say that I've replaced this habit with a daily meditation practice, but baby steps people, baby steps!

So tell me, do you check your phone first thing when you wake up?

15 comments:

  1. I check my Draw Something App followed by Facebook. Purely so I don't fall back to sleep after turning off my alarm. It has happened way too many times to number. WAY too many times. It's the only thing that wakes me up enough to get my butt out of bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely I do. It's hard not to... I should think of using that morning time to meditate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a good idea to use airplane mode!
    i use my phone as an alarm also so i'm definitely borrowing your tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well sometimes i think that thankfully i still dont have an iphone or something like that, i just turn the alarm off and then get to brush my teeth so fast because im always late... so embarassing, that's the baby step i should walk when i get to work from vacations next week: start to get up early as i'd do last year, have breakfast, listen to the morning news, and then go to work... if i can do that i'll be able to meditate again... gosh i'm so so out of focus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use my iphone as an alarm as well and have fallen into the social media first thing in the morning trap as well. I love your idea of turning airplane mode on, and I can't wait to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always complain about not being able to meditate and my morning routine is totally your old routine. Gah. Overstimulated is an understatement. Iphones are just so addictive. I'll try out the airplane mode idea for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you do much for sharing this! I have a terrible habit of checking it as soon as I wake up. I'll definitely think twice from now on. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. i check my phone or otherwise i'll fall back asleep!

    xo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha, love this! and it's definitely all about the baby steps. the first thing i always do is check instagram, twitter, facebook and my email. i might just have to join you on this quest ;)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your friend makes perfect sense! I try not to look at the phone or iPad until after breakfast. The day is much easier to slide into with a little family chit chat and some easy music. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I definitely check my phone as soon as the alarm goes off. It helps me not to go back to sleep but it's probably a good idea to do some quiet thinking or as a friend and I were talking about recently, using the time to start the day with some positive thinking.

    Right. Airplane mode it is then!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will put my phone in air plane mode from now on.
    Happy meditating!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! You're blog is really lovely...this post resonated with me I have to admit - as of tomorrow I am making the change, thanks for the little push:) xx tam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I SO check my phone FIRST THING. but not any more. It's such a bad habbit. My phone will now be charged in the kitchen- not next to my pillow.

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the most basic phone, it doesn't even have a camera! I use it as an alarm but i don't have an iphone or anything like that as i don't want to be able to check facebook or emails etc. at all times of the day.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger