from the island

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

gabriola

For as long as I can remember, my family have visited one of the small gulf islands off the coast of Vancouver island. Over the years I've been there with my parents, my brother, old boyfriends, and friends, old and new.

Now when I go there, it's to visit my dad who has since made the island his home. But this being a long weekend, it seemed that everyone I knew was there at the same time! It was so wonderful to spend quiet time in the bush (as we would say in Australia), but also to reconnect with old, old friends.

gabriola

gabriola

gabriola

gabriola

gabriola

Of course, it was also nice to hang out with my dad at his favourite cafe. He's so Canadian - always wearing some variation of jeans and flannel.

gabriola

One of my oldest friends is also living on the island right now, with a cat and 4 chickens. This is one of her chickens.

gabriola

gabriola

gabriola

caterpillars

friends

friends

There's something so refreshing about spending time with old friends, hearing their news and sharing yours.

blooms

gabriola
side note: this is my favourite photo that I've taken on this trip home. It just screams pacific northwest to me.

I just read this post on the beautiful blog, Andrew and Carissa, and I kept thinking "yes! that's exactly how I feel about being home." I would have to say that the word grounded perfectly describes how I feel here.

14 comments:

  1. I love all the photos. The one with all the bugs is super creepy! I love the photo of the deer and the flowers.
    Carlee

    http://allthingsaveragegirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, so pretty! Glad you're loving your time at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are beautiful photos, it makes me feel relaxed just looking at them :) so glad you're having such a wonderful time x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of memories in so many ways like you said...a place that you've spent time with a variety of people in your life. That's so cool, I am so happy for you to be having this time, you look SO peaceful.

    lovely shots too

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, these photos are so lovely Gaby!! And how exciting that you're here on a visit... it's seriously such a beautiful place to un-wind!! I love spending time on all of the islands here - pretty stunning!!

    PS, Thanks so much for your email. I'd love to meet up... I'll email you shortly!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging has already expanded my 'places to go' list tenfold, but it still manages to grow! I think it's because I get to see people's homes through their own eyes, and it makes everything look so beautiful and welcoming. This blog is yet another case and point. Beautiful!!! Rhi xx

    The Wildest of Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are such gorgeous pictures! the ones of the caterpillars is just incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are such gorgeous pictures! the ones of the caterpillars is just incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos are gorgeous, this place looks amazing! So full of nature and so beautiful, ahhh I really do want to go there someday :) anyway, now following.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i just sighed so hard after looking at this post. it just looks so relaxing and awesome! glad you are loving being home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos are incredible! That cafe looks absolutely adorable and I just love all of the flowers you were able to take photographs of.

    Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to say thanks for the comment on my recent post. This is my first time visiting your blog and I have to say these pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your photos, Gaby. And I know what you mean about home. And seeing people you've known your whole life. It really grounds you.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger