then & now

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

then

now

When I was on the island, one of my priorities was finding my old friend Katrina. We grew up together in east Vancouver and were the best of friends from kindergarten on. People often asked us if we were twins or sisters, and one halloween we even dressed up as siamese twins by wearing a huge sweater over the both of us.

Our parents are still close, though we hadn't seen each other in a while seeing as I live on the opposite side of the globe! I heard she was living on the island, but cell phone reception is dodgy and I didn't completely remember the spot where she's now living (we used to go there as kids).

As luck would have it though, I didn't need to worry. I was in a shop on Saturday morning when I saw Katrina talking to the cashier. I tapped her on the shoulder but it didn't quite click. I tapped her again and she spun around, this time, noticing who I was. She yelled "oh my god, what are you doing here?" before turning to the cashier and exclaiming, "she's in Australia!"

I sometimes think that one of the things I like about Sydney is that my friendships there are based on shared interests and values, whereas my friendships here are more about history. But I have to say that there is something so nourishing about spending time with people you've known since you were 4. In a few weeks I'll be going to LA to visit this lady, who I've also know since I was little, and I can't wait to reconnect!

16 comments:

  1. Hehe I (sort of) know the feeling. There really is something refreshing about catching up with friends from way back when :) Rhi xx

    The Wildest of Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is nice to have a friend whom you grow up together, the feeling is really sweet and nothing can replace that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right - it's so nice to spend time with someone you grew up with. That history bonds you in a totally different way than a newer friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh that was so exciting!
    i know exactly what you mean :)

    k

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is it that you found her! I dont have those kind of "we grew up together" friends because I spent most of my time with my cousins... but it feels the same way when we see each other again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so cute! Its crazy how different and the same we look as we grow up.
    Carlee

    http://allthingsaveragegirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a friend since i've know since 4 too! And I agree what great friendships those are:) I'm actually planing on going to see her this summer :)

    Thanks for you sweet comment on my blog! I love yours and cant wait to read more : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. how nice, you do look like sisters ::)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know exactly what you mean about those long-time friendships. I don't have very many of them, but those I have are so valuable and comfortable and safe to me. Love that. Glad you two reconnected!

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww how great that you found her! I live on the island too, where did you get to go? it's such a lovely place here :)
    hugs tereza

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those tights make me wish it was 90 degrees here in Texas today! TOO cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's amazing you are still in touch.

    From Paris with love!
    Kristina recently posted... Mac Hey, Sailor!.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just realizing how awesome it is that living abroad has led me to seek friend's with similar interests. At first (and by at first, I meant the first 4 years... haha), I just sought out people who spoke the same language. Which is a huge error because you end up only drinking with your "friends" all the time because otherwise it would be awkward since you have nothing in common except a common language. And now, I'm specifically seeking out friends with similar interests and values (whether they are native English-speakers or not) and I'm so much more excited about life. And feel so much less alone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, your friend must've had the best surprise ever. Although two of my friends are interstate (AUS) whenever they visit their parents here I always love meeting them randomly in strange places. I also thought Katrina was your twin sister.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

this little port All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger