butternut pumpkin soup

Friday, June 29, 2012

pumpkin soup

pumpkin soup pumpkin soup

It's been pretty chilly here in Sydney this week, and even chillier inside my house. Whereas in most parts of the world winter means bundling up to go outside, and shedding layers when you're inside, my experience of Sydney is the exact opposite. When I'm home I'm usually wearing about 10 layers (which often includes a toque!), but outside I can still get away with cardigans and open shoes. Oh, and I should mention that it isn't just me, everyone says the same thing!

But what I actually want to talk about is soup, glorious soup to warm your belly. I picked up a butternut pumpkin at the market on Sunday, which became this simple soup last night.

Butternut pumpkin soup
- 1/2 of a butternut pumpkin (otherwise knows as butternut squash)
- 1 big onion
- 4 cups veggie stock
- salt and pepper

Peel and roughly chop your pumpkin. Do the same with your onion. Throw your pumpkin, onion, 4 cups of veggie stock and some salt and pepper into a heavy pot. Cover with a lid and leave at medium heat for about half an hour, or until the pumpkin is soft. Throw it all into a blender (I did this in 2 batches - nobody wants hot splattered soup all over the kitchen!) until smooth. Enjoy!


13 comments:

  1. haha YES! my house is exactly the same! so cold in the winter. just don't think we thought about the fact that it can get quite cold there in the winter time when we built our houses.
    love butternut squash soup! definitely going to make it soon. it's not much warmer here in wales than it is in syd, and it's meant to be summer here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Kiwi-expat it's quite funny that this winter has been pretty gloomy. I think without so much rain it wouldn't have been so darn cold. Yes, the houses here are not winter-friendly.

    You should re-name the recipe to Super Easy Butternut Pumpkin Soup. I am so making this tonight. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous about Sydney's cool weather right now. But that pumpkin soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds and looks delicious, even for the summer time :)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are making this soup all the time in winter, I sometimes add soya cream to make it even creamier.
    Open shoes and cardigans in winter...sigh! It's July but 16 degrees and rain here in London today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't think i've had this, but it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! So delicious! And I LOVE the pics you took. I've never found it particularly easy to photograph food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds absolutely amazing! I must make it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!!! I have been eating so much pumpkin soup lately! I could've sworn my nose was about to fall off early this evening - it was so cold!!! I'm bad though and I eat (organic) packet pumpkins soup because I'm yet to find a recipe that I like and have been too lazy to write one. This, however, looks grand - sweet & simple :D Thanks for sharing, Gaby! Rhi xx

    The Wildest of Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good and simple! (: I am trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is totally one of my fave soups and it's so easy. It's hot here now so I prob won't be making any until fall. Something about eating soup in the eat doesn't sit well

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger