tim coulson's 'the nursery'

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Top photo (the composite) by Tim. Rest of the photos by me.

On Saturday I gathered in Tim and Kesh's gorgeous house on a hill, along with 10 other amateur photographers, to learn how to take photos. Photos of people. Throughout the day Tim taught us about emotional shooting, editing photos, culling, and how to shoot on manual. Essentially, he was teaching us all to be brave and get our cameras off of that pesky 'auto' button once and for all!

Armed with this new knowledge, we drove to a nearby cliff overlooking the sea for a live shoot. The name of the town where Tim and Kesh live is an Aboriginal word for windy, and windy it was. I was the model, so one by one, everyone took my portrait. Me, I just tried my best not to blow away.

My biggest revelation of the day, however, had nothing to do with photography. Being in Tim and Kesh's home, listening to the two of them describe the path towards Tim becoming a professional photographer, I was inspired more than I can say. Tim mentioned more than once that he didn't use to take great photos. But he took thousands of pictures over hundreds of days, and now he's here. A pro, literally. It reminded me of the 10 000 hour rule that Malcolm Gladwell talks about in his book, Outliers. It also made me grateful for the fact that, like Tim, my job is my passion.

Tomorrow I'll be posting some of the photos that Tim snapped of me; they are truly special.



13 comments:

  1. Lovely words Gabby. I'll look forwards to catching up with you when you are a little closer to my place!!

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait til Tim travels to Brissie. Looks like a brilliant day! The shots of you over at Tim's blog are magnificent :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did so well Gaby as the model your photos on Tim's blog are beautiful. It sounds like such a worthwhile day on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was easy to get good shots of you because you are very photogenic :)It was really lovely to meet you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I would have joined if I were in Sydney already! Sounds like you had a great and inspirational time. There is always something new to learn.
    I found their blog and his site through your blog a while ago and LOVE his work.
    Do they live far out of the city?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so easy to take beautiful photos of you Gaby (once I'd sorted out those pesky settings!). I so enjoyed our day & your words reflect the amazing feelings I think we all had on the day. I'm still beaming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUCH gorgeous pictures. I love the face shots all compiled into one collage. AH you're so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO exciting & love how your photos turned out, how fun you took a photography class - photography is such a passion for me... I really can't think of a better way to spend a day!! Can't wait to see the photos of you & yay for learning manual it's SO liberating!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the last photo is just SO HAPPY! it's so pure and beautiful. can't wait to see more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, i love their blog. both of them seems like a fun and loving bunch. everything i know about photography, i thought myself, but i wouldn't mind having somebody like tim teach me more. i like his perspective on portrait photography.

    leyla.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an amazing thing you got to do Gaby, aaaaaahhh i'm freaking out! And those photos are absolutely incredible of you, what a treasure, I am excited to hear about more....;) What an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds so exciting. All of the portraits look great, and it seems quite brave jumping into a class like this, so good on you!! :D Can't wait to see more. Rhi xx

    The Wildest of Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this! how fun. and ten gold stars for you for picking up that camera and learning its ins & outs. it's so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger