Just over a month ago, I wrote about trying to establish a morning ritual for myself. The most important thing to me was to try not to start my day by checking my iphone. Surprisingly, or perhaps unsurprisingly, this was much harder than I thought!
My morning rhythm is still very much a work in progress, but there are a few things I've discovered:
- scraping my tongue and brushing my teeth first thing makes me feel better
- skin brushing before showering is nice and quick, and definitely worth it
- I'm the kind of person who needs a huge breakfast, sometimes two if I have to wake up very early
- staying off the internet makes my brain feel sharper
- using Dr Hauschka skincare has made me really slow down and enjoy this part of my morning
That said, after a month of experimenting, here's my updated morning rhythm:
- wake up between 6 and 8 am depending on when I'm teaching
- scrape my tongue and brush my teeth
- drink a cup of hot water with lemon while reading a book or writing in my journal
- make breakfast and a cup of tea
- if I have time, do some simple yoga stretches or sun salutes
- brush skin, wash face (a multi step process) and have a shower
- get dressed
Of course, some mornings when I have to be out the door before 7 am there's just not time for everything. Those days I do what I can, and let go of what I can't. So tell me, how's your morning ritual going?