some thoughts on teaching yoga

Thursday, October 18, 2012


"I had an acupuncture appointment with an elderly, Japanese man, named Kenji Murata. He started out when he was twelve years old, cleaning the floor of his uncle's acupuncture clinic. It was there that he developed an interest in acupuncture. He noticed that people always left his uncle's office happy, and though, "Wouldn't it be great to have a job where you could be of service like that?" 

I went home and started thinking that, in my job as a yoga teacher, I'd also met many kind people. I felt blessed. I started picturing my students one by one."
                           - Ruth Lauer Manenti, from the book 'An Offering of Leaves'

Yesterday I taught a prenatal yoga class. Three out of the four women there were between 39 and 41 weeks pregnant, full term. I've gotten to know them well over the last few months, and as they approach their "due dates" I think of them often. I know that any day now, I'll receive texts or see on Facebook that their babies have been born and I will smile big.

On Tuesday I met with four of the lovely women who used to come to my prenatal classes, when they were still waiting to meet their little ones. We sat in a friend's front yard sipping tea and playing with their baby boys (all boys!), in awe that all of these bubs were in their bellies, not too long ago. The mums tell me that they're pretty sure the boys remember my voice. Anika called me 'the baby whisperer.'

Last week one of my students told me that of all the teachers at a particular studio, I have the best playlists. To me, music obsessed as I am, it was the greatest compliment.

I haven't been a yoga teacher for long, but I have already met so many kind people and like Ruth Lauer Manenti, I feel blessed. I don't always succeed, but I hope that more often than not, when people leave my classes they feel happy and that makes me happy. You don't make a lot of money teaching yoga, but somehow, your needs always seem to be met. Teaching yoga will never make me rich, but I'm ok with that.

14 comments:

  1. such a beautiful post. what an incredible blessing, to be able to not only spread joy and happiness amongst the people you teach, but also to the babies growing in them. imagine every baby being born with such peace in their souls, to happy mamas? you are changing the world, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tale and to be able to help so many women has got to be such a wonderful feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So crazy that the babies remembered your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. You make me think of my favorite yoga teacher and just being in her class makes my practice even more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. It's so nice to have a relationship and connection with the people you teach. I teach too at uni and I do enjoy reaching out and getting to know my students too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely and sincere post. How special that you can share in such an amazing experience with these women. There is a lot to be said for the amazing benefits of yoga practice - a very nobble pursuit even if you don't make much money from it!
    Sal x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Nice thought :) Cannot wait to see the journey deeper :))
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww. I love this. I wish I could take one of your classes. Though i did find a great prenatal yoga teacher down here in Argentina despite all odds. I can't wait for a post about your infamous playlists *hint* *hint*

    ReplyDelete
  9. love love love this.

    what a special job you have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a beautiful post! I practiced prenatal yoga my entire pregnancy and let me tell you my delivery was such a great experience I was so relaxed and connected. So I'm sure you are helping a lot of ladys and specially tiny babies come to the world in a beautiful way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad I've found your blog! I love love love all things related to yoga so I'll be happy as I can get reading the thoughts/insights of a yoga teacher :)
    It sounds fun doing yoga when you're pregnant, let's see about that!

    xoxo
    Camila.
    http://camilagcarneiro.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! You have a lovely blog, i just discovered today. Id love to come back again.

    http://www.akachymecindy.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so cool that you are doing something you love :) I think it's the greatest gift in life to be able to do that/to make the choice to do it anyway. Thanks so much for sharing :) Rhi xx

    The Wildest of Dreams
    The Shaanti Project <--If you're reading this, you should like this page :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to attend your classes! You have got the right attitude to be a teacher.
    The photo is great, the shadow of the blanket looks like henna on your leg.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger