the dinner challenge, update & a baked risotto recipe

Wednesday, October 3, 2012


Last week, my husband and I spent 7 days trying to make a different recipe each night. It ended up taking us 9 days (including a night out and a night we ate leftovers) but I'm still considering it a success. It was great to stretch our creative muscles in the kitchen and not eat the same things over and over again. We ate:

Baked prawn risotto with Thai flavours
  • 300 ml stock (I used vegetable) - I used half stock, half white wine
  • 1 stem lemon grass, bruised
  • 4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
  • 2 tablespoons oil (I used grape seed)
  • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1.5-2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
  • 1.5 cups arborio rice
  • 300 ml coconut cream
  • 600 g raw prawns (peeled and deveined with tails intact) - I didn't include this because I'm a vegetarian, but my husband threw them into his portion
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (450 degrees F). Pour the stock into a saucepan, add the lemon grass and half of the kaffir lime leaves. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish with a lid. Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes, or until soft but not coloured. Stir in the curry paste and cook for a further minute, or until fragrant. Stir in the rice until well coated. Strain the stock into the rice then add the coconut cream. Cover and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven, stir in the risotto well, then bake for a further 10-15 minutes. Add the prawns and mix them well into the rice. If the mixture looks dry add some more stock. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until prawns are cooked through and rice is tender. Serve the risotto in bowls garnished with lime leaves.

6 comments:

  1. What an awesome challenge! I should try to make a new meal once a day (for a week) too. This recipe sounds way good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this. sounds. delicious!!
    i am missing home-cooked dinners with my man so much these days, it's one of our favorite things to do together. will have to try this in december when i go home to him :)

    xo,
    kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the diversity of your meals! What a fun challenge to take part in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mhmmmmm. I will try this, thank you so much for sharing all this great food inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am up for this challenge gaby!!! I love the idea! (Have you ever read the book 7)? YOu'd love it I think!

    Anyway, I could go for that risotto but i'd have to pass on the prawns:o

    xo very inspiring, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger