the yoga of closet cleaning

Monday, November 19, 2012



The weather in Sydney has been all over the place lately, but as I looked at my calendar this weekend and realized that December is less than a fortnight away, I decided to ready myself. We keep hearing that this summer is going to be hot and dry and, truth be told, I'm scared. I don't like Sydney heat in the best of times. We're already sleeping with a fan and keeping bottles of water in the fridge at all times, sure signs that summer is near.

On Saturday I packed away my wintery woollens, and pulled out crinkled summer dresses from the boxes where they've been hiding. I like the ritual of changing my closet as the seasons change. It's also nice to be reminded of how much I have, and see that I probably don't need any more (except for maybe some elastic waist shorts...). The theme of the month at Jivamukti Yoga is aparigraha, greedlessness. Yesterday one of my teachers, Keith, reminded us in class that the smaller our footprint, the more power we have. Live Simply so that others may simply live. Something to remember as Christmas draws closer...

17 comments:

  1. something very important to remember, thanks for sharing!
    you'll look super cute dressing your bump in those summer dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. changing over my drawers has been on my "evening to do list" for the past few nights.. I so know what you mean. It feels like admitting the seasons have changed, clearing away the woolen layers. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is too funny - I just put away the last of my warmish weather clothes on Friday and unearthed some of last winter's wool dresses! wanna trade? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently cleaning out my closet. :) So far I have a pretty good tally of donations, and I'm still going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely something to remember this season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice reminder to live simply, especially as the holiday season (turned mega-shopping season) rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this reminds me how badly I need to clean my closet... it feels so good to purge yourself of the things you no longer need / wear and donate to those that could truly use it. Plus, we are the exact opposite over here, all my flowy summer dresses need to be put away and all my chunky knits back in their regular rotation ;)

    That quote is an amazing reminder, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah, good luck in the heat! It's funny to think that we're just about to start winter over here. Your yoga instructor sounds really wise, I love what he said about living simply!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so i can never switch out my closet because i always think i will use something in the opposite season. it is bizarre. and i never do.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your teeny bump is so sweet!

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that quote at the end of your post. Something to live by. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great reminder! I'm doing the opposite here in Georgia...packing up my summer clothes and pulling out my winter sweaters + scarves. I can't believe it's time to be doing this already! 2012 is passing by too quickly for my taste. xoxo! eliza

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a fan of the extremes in weather- either the bitter cold or the suffocating heat. I am a fan of the way seasonal changes inspire self-evaluation! I love the thought, "live simply..."

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a beautiful quote and so true! I have been trying to live a simpler, healthier and sustainable way - but my closet still looks like a tornado hit!! :D
    The weather has been all around as well in Melbourne, but we are expecting 30 degree on the weekend, so summer is definitely not far away any more!
    Kristina x

    ReplyDelete
  16. i've been working on that too, and it's so refreshing. i think the title of this post says it all -- it's really perfect, actually.

    p.s. move to denver and be my personal yoga instructor. please?

    ReplyDelete
  17. so you did it...I still have to do it...is getting colder here and I should put my summer clothes away

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger