an escape (and some blue bottles)

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Last week we spent a couple of days around Bateman's Bay with our friends. We took full advantage of the south coast's famous beaches, which reminded me, yet again, of just how funny life in Australia can be. On our first beach trip we were at a beautiful, deserted white sand beach. The ocean was the clearest blue, like in the tropics, and not too choppy. Have a look...

We all waded in, and were enjoying our cold swim when Ben spotted something floating at the top of the water. Then he spotted another one, and another one. One cry of "blue bottles" was all it took to send Alicia and I racing out of the water. The funny thing is that I didn't even know what a blue bottle was, but I knew if Alicia was running away, I sure as hell should be too. Want to see a blue bottle?

I quickly learned that a blue bottle is a jellyfish (I had guessed that much), that isn't deadly, but hurts like crazy if you get stung. That blue balloon shape is what floats at the top of the water, and beneath that its tentacles spread out and cause extreme pain if they happen to touch you. Husband remembers being stung as a kid and vomiting from the pain. None of us got stung, but I was certainly more careful next time we went for a swim! Here are the rest of our photos from our short trip...




20 comments:

  1. Oh you were lucky! They pack a nasty punch. What a beautiful trip you had and that last image of you...gorgeous. Hope your days are lovely :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful. I'm hoping to spend a year or two in Australia in the near future and your photos are making me antsy. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Bateman's Bay! Your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh, I strongly dislike jelly fish and while I am yet to encounter a blue bottle, even the ones that don't sting prevent me from swimming. Love that last picture. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh creepy blue bottles!! glad to hear that nothing happened!! nasty creatures! Besides it looks like a wonderful day at the beach!! :D
    Kristina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh! My biggest phobia is jelly fish so I would have been sprinting for the shore line as well! Glad no one got stung.

    xxx
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always fascinated me (as a Victorian) how some beaches in far north qld have vinegar tanks that you can run to when stung by blue bottles. Apparently the vinegar eases the burning

    ReplyDelete
  8. These images are making me yearn for the beach...yet we were there just days ago. It looks like you had a wonderful mini-vacay!

    Glad that no one was stung - thinking of the last time I was makes me cringe
    (@Ms George - You're right! The vinegar was an absolute god-send! There's not a beach that doesn't have it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauldornau/3294982951/)

    Sar x

    ReplyDelete
  9. jellyfish suck! i remember being stung and it was awful.

    ironically the jellyfish are my absolute favorite part of the aquarium. so calming to watch them bob around

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeeek, jelly fish! It makes me glad for our cold British beaches with their absence of scary sea creatures. Nice photos though. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those blue bottle jellyfish sound terrifying and freakin painful. Glad you escaped them... and, what a lovely day + these photos tell such a great story! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. great photos! and you are looking great at 18 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like such a fun trip! Blue bottle looks kinda cool though.... i've never been stung by a jellyfish before... but i don't want to from the sounds of it. I love that last picture~ It makes me feel kinda nostalgic ... but i don't know for what.

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome, Gaby! Love that last photo in particular....
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would stick to the pool and admiring the ocean from the safety of the beach after seeing those jellyfish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. argh i hate blue bottles. ive been stung a couple of times and hateddddd it! my brother ALWAYS seems to get stung haha. its like they search for him!
    i loveee your photos! and the south coast is such a dream isn't it! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog so much! Your pictures are GORGEOUS. What kind of camera and lens do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are such beautiful shots :) I am missing the beach right now so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are there not as many blue bottles in Sydney? I got stung my very first time swimming on the Gold Coast and it suuucked. The bugger wrapped himself around my legs - thighs to ankles. Not cool. Glad you escaped!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger