popsicles for a hot day

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Have you heard? We're expecting a high of 43 degrees today in Sydney. I stepped out earlier to buy something from the chemist - my one and only outing for the day - and it felt like being hit by a brick wall of heat. It reminded me of Darwin. Whenever it's this hot and humid I always feel as though we should be trying to eat the air, rather than breathe it.

Other than staying inside as much as possible, days like today call for ice water, salads for dinner (in anticipation of the heat, I made pasta salad yesterday for tonight's evening meal), and popsicles, obviously.

I made these by blending about 1 cup of natural full fat yoghurt with 1.5 bananas and a tablespoon or so of honey. I separated that into 2 bowls, throwing mixed berries into one and roughly chopped frozen peaches into the other. I filled up my popsicles moulds, popped them into the freezer last night and voila! An icy cool treat to carry me through today.

Stay cool (and SAFE) my Aussie friends!

p.s. another, more exact, popsicle recipe is here

13 comments:

  1. :( least it's a dry heat, I live in Darwin and its not a dry heat, it's a humid heat, humid heat is worse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so clever they look yummy too.. stay safe and cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and here in ontario we have snow and -3c :) your popsicles look delicious, gaby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I'll have to try this. Ava loves popsicles, but homemade are only the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh gosh, yum! Glad i live in California where i can (kind of) justify popsicles like this!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice-cream and popsicles are the best way to stay cool. I have been binging on them non-stop. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow.... Our Christmas Eve was similar in temps. It was so awful in so many ways. It was so hot our ac couldn't keep the temp down. And we had so much to do... It being Christmas Eve abd all. But the good news is now I'm all happy with the normal hot temps. Thanks for the Popsicle inspiration... I insisted on bringing a tray from the us a couple years ago yet have never bothered to use it.... It's about time! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look yum. I'm thinking that, when summer comes here, those popsicles (or ice lollies as we call them) will be a good way to get some fruit into my fussy three year old.

    Stay safe - we are hearing really scary things on the news here about the forest fires in NSW.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious! I wish I was eating one of these in Australia right now instead of sipping hot chocolate in Canada. Although hot chocolate is pretty darn good too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look DELICIOUS! Bookmarking this for our summertime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I want it to be warm again now so I can make popsicles. Stay cool momma.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awful day it was yesterday!!! I couldn't believe it took until 4am in the morning for the cool change to come about. Hardly slept a wink up until that point.

    This recipe looks great - I've saved it in my Evernote as 'Gaby's popsicles'!

    Where did you get your moulds from?

    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, popsicles are an excellent idea -- these look particularly delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger