yoga at home: some tips

Wednesday, February 27, 2013


I often get emails asking me for advice on practicing yoga at home. Some people don't live near a studio, or don't like the studios nearby; others find it hard to get to class with kids to take care of; sometimes it's a question of a tight budget, etc. Personally, until recently I was able to get to various classes around Sydney 2 to 6 times a week. Now, with a big belly and the end of summer heat that just won't let up, I've been finding myself practicing in the comfort of my (air-conditioned) home more and more.

Here are some tips, in no particular order, for getting your yoga on at home. I hope you find them useful:
  • If you've never done yoga before, I would recommend trying to get to at least a few beginners classes to get the basics down.
  • There are heaps of free yoga podcasts you can download and practice along to. You do need to have a fairly good foundation because you have to follow along with just verbal cues. One of my favourite yoga teachers, Jessica Stickler, has a podcast that you can find here.
  • There are also several websites offering videos that you can download for a fee, or stream unlimited for what's usually a very small monthly fee. I would recommend YogaGlo and My Yoga Online.
  • To practice at home, you really only need a yoga mat. If you're serious, you may want to invest in a bolster, a strap and two blocks. That said, you can always improvise and use books as blocks, or roll up a blanket to use as a bolster.
  • If you can set up a space for your regular practice, you'll be more inspired to get on the mat. It can be as simple as lighting a candle on a bookcase that you always practice in front of. My friend Emily wrote some more about this here.
  • The hardest thing about practicing yoga is just rolling out your mat. My friend and fellow yoga teacher says that when she wants to practice at home she rolls out her mat, lies down on it and then hopes for the best. I love that. 
  • On that note, sometimes you just need a burst of inspiration. I recommend watching the amazing Meghan Currie's time lapse videos on youtube, or reading a beautiful book. One of my favourite yoga books is An Offering of Leaves by Ruth Lauer Manenti.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments section and I'll be sure to answer...

13 comments:

  1. I like this! I still consider myself a beginner but I've been attending yoga classes for the past five years on and off.. now I mostly practice at home. My question would be do you have any recommendations of good music for home yoga practice? x

    ps. just love the perspective of the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tips.

    I've picked up my practice again after a couple of years absence and am starting at home. I too think the hardest part can be getting out the mat and getting on it although I always feel so much better after :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous tips, and bump! I practised yoga every morning in the last few weeks of my pregnancy. Such a beautiful time x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gaby, I'm Erica ... I am Brazilian and I live in São Paulo, I follow your blog for some time now and love, full of delicacy and beauty.
    Practice yoga for a few years now and I love your posting yogini and vegetarian recipes.
    Thank you for sharing so much beauty and congratulations on expecting a crystal that will soon reach the world.
    Lots of light in his ways ... Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos! Great advice, too.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally one of those pesky people who e-mailed you for advice. :) Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing! I've been going to a yoga studio, and recently stopped my membership since it was getting to expensive. I definitely will have to try the podcasts, that is a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this! i love LOVE going to yoga class, but find myself slacking when i try to practice at home. these are great tips! i'll def check out the podcast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should blog more about yoga! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips Gaby! Just the shove I've needed...in our small town there are no pre-natal yoga classes and I keep meaning to look into whether I could do them via the internet. Do you know if YogaGlo or My Yoga Online do pregnancy specific ones?

    Now to dust off my mat...!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made it so approachable for me! I'm going to send this post to my fellow yoga fans :) Thank you! Good luck with the beautiful belly and the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so perfect, I was just thinking of something like this the past couple days. I used to have yoga available to me once a week with my gym membership but we've recently cut it out of the budget. I still miss it so much! Doing it at home would be awesome

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger