worst saturday ever

Sunday, March 24, 2013

{my mom and her mom}

I feel like this post could also be titled, "crap that only happens to me." Because honestly, what kind of a yoga teacher injures herself so badly while teaching that she has to stop and go to the hospital? But I'm getting ahead of myself...

I was teaching my regular Saturday morning prenatal yoga class yesterday. We had about 10 minutes left and everyone was relaxing, when I walked back over to my mat and stubbed my toe against the wall. This isn't the first time this has happened, so I immediately knew that it was dislocated. Right away, I crouched down and pulled. My toe. Hard.

No go. It was still dislocated and quickly turning purple and swelling up. Epic fail. As calmly as I could, I told my class full of pregnant women that my toe was dislocated and I would need someone to get the manager to come help me. Amidst the chaos, a yoga teacher who had just finished teaching a class in the other room came in to finish teaching my class, while I hobbled downstairs with two people helping me. We called husband who came straight over and whisked me off to the emergency medical unit - by the by, EMU has got to be the best acronym ever- at the hospital.

I really thought that they would take pity on my heavily pregnant self in the emergency ward, but they could not have cared less. And so I waited in the stinky, gross emergency room with a dislocated toe for 3 and a half hours before I finally saw a doctor! For most of that time, I had no ice and no pain relief. Of course, once I did actually see a doctor it only took 10 minutes to fix the problem. Ten very uncomfortable minutes in which I got to practice my Calmbirth breathing and relaxation techniques while 2 needles were jabbed into my bony foot and the doctor manipulated my toe back into place. Once the ordeal was over, husband (always looking on the bright side) said: "I'm actually kind of glad that just happened cause we got to practice what we learned last weekend." Um, thanks. I can also now report that getting a toe relocated in Indonesia is faster (including a 1 hour taxi ride) than it is in Sydney. Good times.

So yes, we had grand plans for our Saturday, the husband and I. Spending all day in emergency was not one of them, and yet, this wasn't even the worst part of the day. While we waited, I got an email from my mom, one I had been hoping wouldn't come. She told me that my grandmother, my abuela, has terminal cancer that's progressing very fast.

My abuela - mother to five, grandmother to eleven - is so excited about her first great grandchild. After years of not making anything thanks to her failing eyesight, she actually knitted a sweater for the wriggle bum in my tummy. As for us, we have plane tickets for a trip to Canada and Colombia this summer (Australian winter). Husband couldn't wait to meet my family and I couldn't wait for my abuela to meet her first great grandbaby. At this point, it doesn't even look like she will get to hear of the birth of this little one. There's also no way that I can fly over to say goodbye this far along in my pregnancy. Instead, I will sit here and look at the beautiful photos I have of my abuela and tell my husband about what a great person she is. And from the other side of the world, I will be there for my mom.

p.s. my family, vintage 

15 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your Grandmother (and your toe!).. My grandmother is declining rapidly - she is 92 so has led an amazing life - but its still hard x
    That photo is one to be cherished

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Gaby what a horrid day and such tragic news to hear at the end of it! Wishing you peace and strength in this time and gentle times for your beautiful abuela. x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma - we are never ever ready to let them go, no matter how old or how sick they are. Hoping for peace in the midst of the sadness x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm so sorry gaby. what a horrible day. prays for you and your grandma, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Gaby, that's so sad. I feel really bad for you that you can't fly over to be with your Grandmother. I lost my granny at Christmas and it hit me much harder than I thought it would. And so sorry about your toe! What a crappy day. Your family know you are thinking of them even if you can't physically be there, I am sure. Take care of yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry you are going through this right now. Would your grandmother be able to speak via skype to you? Even if she has eyesight issues, hearing her voice might make it better. Maybe someone could set up a computer for you both to talk :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. ayyyooo ...!! Hope you are doing ok gaby??? Just a bad day!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm so sorry! this sounds like a terrible week ): i hope you feel better with your toe and i hope that you can support your family from afar and remember your abuela fondly. my thoughts are with you
    kw ladies in navy

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm so very sorry to hear about your grandmother. the circumstances surrounding it are certainly inconvenient as well. what sad news to receive :( you and your family will be in my thoughts.

    xo,
    kistyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. It says so much of your character that you remain positive during this heartbreaking (& toe dislocating) time, Gaby. Sending love & light your way - you, your family & your dear abuela are in my thoughts.

    Now rest up & heal well, lady.

    Much love
    Sar xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gaby, I am so sorry. It is an aweful and heartbreaking feeling to be so far away from your family in tough times like this. Especially when you are stuck on the other side of the world.... I have you and your family in my thoughts!! And waiting 3.5 hours in the ER - not good!!
    Take good care of yourself, Kristina x

    ReplyDelete
  12. that does sounds like a sucky day; I'm so sorry about your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh no, that sounds awful! glad it got sorted out but what a pain waiting so long! i had to laugh at "EMU"... definitely the best acronym!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh NO!!! thanks to my business I am reading your blog backwards right now.
    I am so so sorry to hear all of this. What a crappy day.
    But much worse than the toe is the grandma. How touching she started to make something for the little one, beside not seeing well.
    I just want to give you a big hug right now, no, a huge hug! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger