a day in the mountains

Wednesday, April 17, 2013


I've written before about how the Blue Mountains are special to the husband and I; it's where we spent most of our time together when we were first dating and a place we continued to visit as often as possible once we were married. And then life happened - I started spending most of my weekends at yoga workshops and classes, which left very little time for rock climbing together.

We knew we wouldn't be able to climb this weekend, but we still decided to drive up and spend the day wandering. We started with a bushwalk that was meant to be short and easy, and ended up being straight down a ravine and then, of course, straight back up. Whew. Lugging around the belly is not easy, let me tell you! But I was glad for the exercise.





Next, we did some exploring. We stopped to take some bump shots, bush whacked a bit, took photos of the flora, and stopped at the three sisters. On a clear day, the mountains can always take my breath away. Once again, we talked about how much we'd like to live up there. I don't think it'll ever happen though; it's way too far from our jobs, and I would miss the beach tremendously.



Finally, we spent some time in our favourite towns: Katoomba, Blackheath and Leura. We had a terrible experience at the Bakehouse on Wentworth (don't go!) which nearly resulted in an angry, pregnant lady meltdown. Once we found a nicer place to eat though, I started to feel much better. A generous helping of scones definitely helped. By the time we got home I was so wiped from our outing that I slept better than I have in weeks! There's definitely something to be said for that fresh mountain air.

21 comments:

  1. It looks stunning! I would love to visit one day. Curse that life getting in the way ;) Such a lovely bump, Gaby! Not long now.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband proposed to me at the Three Sisters :). It is a beautiful spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can smell the fresh air and the view is quite beautiful and serene. the mountains always calm me down. the both of you picked a nice spot to make memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Blue Mountains are lovely, aren't they? (well, obviously you already know the answer to that question!). Gorgeous photos and thank you for the tip re the Bakehouse - will keep it in mind next time we visit (hopefully a little later in Autumn, the colours are always so pretty up there at that time of year).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love seeing your cute belly getting after it in the woods!
    you go girl.

    xo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, what happened at the bakery?? I love the Blue Mountains too - but I'll remember not to go in there next time haha :)

    life-etcblog.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a beautiful way to spend the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. there's just something about nature that seems to fix things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow i'm prod of you for hiking with that belly!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah, i really don't know how you even did it, i would have been a mess haha. you are awesome! and adventurous. and i love that bench sign!

    xo,
    kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Blue Mountains. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, Gaby thanks so much for stopping by the new blog! :) And... aren't hikes like this amazing? It's something Martin & I used to do a lot of, but yes, darn life gets in the way. Fingers crossed we will be back at it this summer though. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness, your baby bump!!

    The pictures look breathtaking, I would love to hike on those beautiful mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to explore the mountains!
    Your photos are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look at you, hiking with that belly! Go mama! Did you take the giant stairway? ;) My mom is from Australia, and every time we make a trip over to visit her family, we have to go to the Blue Mountains. They're one of my favorite spots, too. xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger