smoothies 3 ways

Saturday, April 20, 2013

It's not an over exaggeration to say that buying a vitamix has changed my life. I have used it at least twice a day, every day. I've made sauces, vegan cheese, pesto, peanut butter, almond milk, etc, but mostly, I've made smoothies. Today I bring you 3 of my favourites:




This is my staple; I make some kind of green smoothie every day. I make sure to always have a big bag of spinach or kale in the fridge, and then I just add whatever else I have kicking around. I always use a base of water, and usually throw in some chia seeds for extra creaminess/nutrition. For this particular green smoothie I blended up:

- a big bunch of kale
- half a frozen banana
- half an orange
- 1 date
- 1 small apple
- small handfull organic frozen blueberries
- small pear




Did you know that you can also make juice in a high powered blender? Revolutionary, I'm telling you. To make juice instead of a smoothie, you need to add water (otherwise it won't blend), and then you have to strain out the pulp. After blending up my ingredients here, I poured the contents into a nut milk bag over a big bowl. You squeeze gently using your hands, and then you can compost or toss the pulp and drink up the juice. Yum. Here I used:

- a cup or so of water
- 1 yellow carrot
- ginger
- half a passionfruit
- 2 small apples


Lastly, my dessert smoothie. I am a chocolate and peanut butter fiend, so this is just a glass full of my favourite things. I made this one slightly healthier with the ingredients listed below, but you could also use a spoon full of nutella instead of the cacao and honey and it's delicious. Perfect for an afternoon snack. The cast of characters:

- 1 frozen banana
- big scoop of peanut butter (I used peanut butter we made in the vitamix)
- 1 heaping teaspoon raw cacao
- 1 teaspoon honey (or maple syrup if you're vegan)
- a cup or so of milk (dairy, nut, soy etc)

Some other smoothie making tips... I always make sure to have at least a few frozen bananas in the freezer. Once a banana has some brown spots on the peel I peel it, break it in half and throw it in a freezer bag. Frozen bananas will make all your smoothies (especially the green ones) extra creamy and yummy. To wash your blender after, it's easiest to fill it up halfway with warm water, a splash of soap and then turn it on high for half a minute or so. What's your favourite kind of smoothie?

p.s. this isn't a sponsored post, I just love my vitamix

20 comments:

  1. Mmmm. This is great, Gaby! I love, love making smoothies and can't wait to try your recipes. The last one is a personal fave/constant around our household - ridiculously good! ;) And wow, I can't believe all that you've made in your vitamix, that's awesome! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely try your "dessert smoothie". I make a green smoothie every morning and I'm always looking for different combinations. Thanks for these yummy recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, this makes me want to buy a vitamix right now!! We are saving up our pennies for one, but I know it will be amazing. P.S. Your photos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds amazing! I'm off to research a vitamix now! I love making my own peanut butter but use a food processor, I wonder if they are similar? Your three smoothies look amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These images are gorgeous, Gaby! I'm craving the last one - chocolate & peanut butter is my favourite combo!

    Sar xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell me, is it really $2000 good? It just seems like SO much money. But I do value and respect your opinion so go ahead and sell it to me! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious. I don't have a vitamix so I'm hoping that between the juicer and the handheld blender, I might be able to recreate some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look delicious! My favourite smoothie is Carrot/Mango/Ginger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. adore my vitamix!!!! Such a life saver!!! I could eat smoothies all day everyday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Iove my vitamix and I'm writing these recipes down. Yum x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love smoothies. I don't have a vitamix, but I have a thermomix, and I'm pretty sure they both do the same job. Thanks for sharing your favourite smoothies. I'm yet to do kale in a smoothie, I think I'm scare of the green! But I'm going to brave it this week and let you know. Just found you through Victoria Shhh, who has just raved about you. I love 'discovering' a lovely new blog! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my Vitamix too, I eat way more smoothies with it around :)
    thanks for the sweet ideas~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I can't wait for ours to arrive so I can whiz up some of these delectable drinks. Hope all is lovely in your world :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yum. They look good. Obviously the third one looks the tastiest to greedy old me, but just thinking about how good for you the other two are is a big incentive. Thanks for the tip about washing it up, it never occurred to me to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I will try your dessert smoothie! The vitamin seems to be a superblender. My pretty yellow one does the trick for now but I am not sure if it will hold up as I am using it a couple of times a day too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so lucky to have a Vitamix! I hope to get one someday. I also have a green smoothie everyday but I tend to make the same one or two everyday, so it is nice to see other combos. Yours looks delish.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger