my blessingway

Saturday, May 11, 2013








Before I post about Clementine's birth and first week, I have to rewind a bit to the week before she was born. During my pregnancy I knew I wanted to do something to mark my passage into motherhood and celebrate the journey of pregnancy and birth, but I just couldn't see myself having a baby shower. I can't remember how or where I first heard about blessingways, but when I did I knew instantly that was what I wanted. I ordered myself Mother Rising: The Most Complete Guide to Blessingways and got thinking about the day - who to invite, what we should do, the gift debate etc.

In the end, I chose two friends to help organise the day: one friend helped with all of the planning (making invites, taking RSVP's, buying flowers, cleaning my house and more) while the other would guide the blessingway. I gave each of them a copy of the book so they could plan it without me; the actual elements of the ritual should be a surprise to the mum to be on the day. I was also lucky enough to have the wonderful Belinda snap a few photos on the day. They were truly the perfect friends for the job.

On a Sunday afternoon, at 38 weeks pregnant, we gathered in my home. Friends from yoga, university, blogging, husband's school friends and even my doula came along. My friend Katie guided us through a beautiful ritual that I will always remember. Afterword, we ate some of my favourite foods and sat on the floor and talked about life, babies, pregnancy, and friends. It sounds lame, but my heart felt so full and I felt so supported by my Sydney community. One week later I went into labour and text messages were sent - everyone who had come went home with a candle that they were to light when they heard I was in labour. It made me smile to think of everyones' candles burning away while I worked so hard to have our baby.

All photos by Belinda from Billy & August
p.s. a great article that Jodi wrote on blessingways

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful beginning to such a magnificent adventure. Belinda's images are stunning as are you all full bellied and peaceful. Wishing you gentle days :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I can't believe she's here already. I've fallen in love with your blog a few months ago only. Time flies by! Again, congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never heard of a blessingway before, but it looks and sounds wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds really beautiful Gaby and I love the idea of all of those candles burning for you & Clementine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the thought of everyone burning a little candle for you while you were in labour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. really beautiful photos! and congratulations! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome idea. I would've much preferred this over the traditional shower I had with Sofia. You look beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! sounds beautiful! never heard of this before, the photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, such a lovely idea. The focus on a baby shower so often seems to be the gifts, but this was about you and your friendship and the baby. Lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a unique experience! I've never heard of a blessingway before, but I'm going to check out the book and article you linked in the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me tear up. So impressed by you. xoxo

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a beautiful experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a wonderful way to celebrate you, your baby and motherhood! I am not a fan of baby showers, so that seems to be a wonderful alternative! Thanks for sharing this special day with us!
    Kristina x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for including me. It was a day I will always treasure x

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a cool idea!
    congrats on the new one, i absolutely adore her name!!!
    xo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds absolutely beautiful. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger