my mom

Tuesday, June 11, 2013






"We cry for home, and for flowers on tables, and biscuits in little tins, and for mother; and we feel embarrassed, and foolish too, that we should be crying for such things; but we should not feel that way because all of us, in a sense, have strayed from home, and wish to return."
            - The Dog Who Came in From the Cold, Alexander McCall Smith

This quote jumped out at me last night as I lay in bed reading my book. It was a sad day and I cried a lot, for little things that remind me of home and for my mother. She flew back to Canada yesterday, and I miss her already. This is the hard part about being an expat, the airport goodbyes and the months or years without seeing your people, your family, in person.

In the 4 weeks that my mom was here she cooked, shopped, cleaned, ran errands, did laundry, bathed and dressed the baby, and kept me company. She took Clementine, anytime, day or night to help me out. The early shift quickly became grandma time, allowing me a couple of blissful hours of extra sleep. Our days settled into a comfortable rhythm of late mornings followed by an outing, whether it was to run an errand or simply go for a walk and grab a coffee with a sweet treat. Afternoons were for naps and reading, and in the evening we would watch the news while I nursed Clementine and my mom cooked dinner. It was simple, and lovely.

I am so glad that my mom was able to spend so much quality time with her granddaughter, and so grateful for all the help she gave me. Thankfully it's just under 2 months until my husband, Clementine and I go to Canada for two whole months. I can't wait!

17 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see her back in grannys arms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Airports take on a whole new feel once you're an expat, they are a place of extreme highs and gut wrenching lows. I feel for you. I hope you find your new rhythm with your little family and cherish the wonderfully special time you got to spend with your mom while she visited. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Having family overseas...airports are a place of extreme joy and extreme sadness...poo :(.

      Delete
  3. There is something so special about our own mothers in those first weeks of a new baby. When my twins were born, my mum was there, right when I needed her, doing exactly what needed doing, and making sure I was nourished and replenished. So very very very lucky. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for you now your mum has gone and I know you will really miss her however at least you can have the countdown to going back home again and little bub will have a stamp in her passport. Get yourself into a mothers group for mummy coffee and chats. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so hard saying goodbye, I spent 7 years away from my Mum, but I had to move back to Aus to have kids so I could be near my mum. It must be so nice to know the next visit is so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Gaby! I teared up a little! I felt the same way when my mom came (and then left) to Canada when Lucas was born almost a year ago...I totally understand the expat thing...thank goodness for skype huh!?
    big hugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow. your blog is just amazing. your words, quotes, photography. thank you for sharing your creative heart with us.
    xx
    http://petalandplume.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. your days with her made me tear up! sounds so lovely. I was just home with my mom and fam for the past week...and now I miss them. :(

    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gaby that was so beautiful written and I am sure your mom had a wonderful time. Wonderful photos of all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You baby (and family) is SO, SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a special time with your mother!

    Our son Ignatius was born in Vancouver last year in our little alley-way cottage. Clementine was a favourite girls name for us actually so it is cute to see your little darling. We are now living back in Brisbane as all of our family on both sides are here.

    I just love Alexander McCall Smith. He is poetic in such a simple and sweet way. He has no pretention. In my last weeks of pregnancy I read avidly and finished all of his No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I drank a lot of bush tea and fruit cake too, inspired by my Batswana friends.

    I pine for Vancouver often, for friends and community, our church and Commercial Drive. For snow-capped mountains, woods and long summer evenings. For the dark winter even, which makes the spring such a joy. But it is also a joy to be close to grandparents and aunties and uncles, nephews and cousins.

    Bless you and your family here, and enjoy your upcoming trip. We traveled with a 3 months old and it was a great age to do it. They are small and snugly and sleep a lot. And everyone loves babies so strangers will be friendly and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These posts are making me so excited for late August when my baby girl is due!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know exactly how you feel Gaby. My mum and dad stayed with us for 3 months earlier this year and I miss them so much now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely. My family lived 250 miles away when my babies were born (they still do sadly) and I know it's nothing compared to the distances you have but it was too far to see them on a regular basis. My parents would come and stay for long weekends and look after me, do the "early" shift so I could sleep in, we'd go on outings and have coffee...they looked after me and I'll always love them for it. The one plus of having long-distance family is the kind of intense, concentrated quality time you get with them when you see them. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how wonderful that you are taking Clementine to Canada! I wish we travelled more when our first born was little! Family bonding is so special...sounds like your mother was able to be a help to you whilst build her own relationship with her grand daughter too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. you look so happy as you stand with your mum :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger