alone time

Thursday, July 11, 2013

the bouquet I'm still savouring from last week's wander / documenting my love of woollens (and Gorman, a love that is only indulged on sale)

Last night I was craving some alone time so I passed Clementine to my husband and filled up the bathtub. The man works long hours with an unpredictable schedule, which can make for some very long days for me as a mum. I'm grateful though that he's always happy for one-on-one time with his daughter. While they played, I got in the tub and flipped through Kelly Doust's newest book, The Crafty Minx at Home.

It felt so nice to close the door and be alone for a while, and it made me realise that it's time to start taking better care of myself. Not enough greens and not enough sleep are starting to catch up with me. The last 2 months have been all about survival - eating whatever is quickest and indulging my sweet tooth far too often. I'm beginning to suspect that I may be a bit too reliant on my daily sugar fix. While I will not be attempting to quit sugar, I will try to cut back. I've also been itching to get back into a regular yoga practice, even if that means 10 minutes a day. For the next few weeks my goals are simple: make a couple of dinners from scratch, drink some green smoothies, cut back my sugar consumption and make it to a yoga class. I think a daily nap is also in order, a habit that I fell out of once my mom left. Come to think of it, I'll be making that priority number one!

10 comments:

  1. I feel you girl! My husband started grad school, so he is at work all day and then studying all night. It's been tough, but every once in a while I get a moment to myself and that is so necessary. Napping is always a good idea. When my little guy was first born, I would nap with him. Not necessarily next to him all the time (he was in his crib) but while he napped. I would also go to bed at night when he did. That was probably the best decision I made postpartum, obviously it didn't last, as my need to stay up and watch shows/blog/hang out with my husband got in the way. One day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! you time is so needed. you need to take care of yourself so that you can take care of others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i so loved discovering your blog today! very inspiring, and your little one is the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good idea to have a rest when clementine is having a nap but like most mothers we opt for getting a few jobs done as it's our nature. Even laying on your bed with a book is resting and enjoyable when she is asleep. Think about trying some slow cooker recipes because you can double the batch and you can spend 20 mins in the morning or at lunch time getting thing chopped and prepped and then dinner will be ready for you. I make spag bog in my slow cooker and it's our families favourite meal. Also if it's done earlier in the day at dinner time you don't have much mess to contend with. They are fantastic. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think those all sound like good ideas. being a new mom calls for your own care and attention too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get what you're saying. Some days it hits 7pm, I'm starving and realise I haven't done so much as a wee all day. I am not looking forward to mum leaving! Its hard when bub takes a nap and you decide 'Yup! I should clean/do the dishes/laundry etc' when really you should just lay next to bub and take a nap yourself! I'm going to work on that this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, i SO need to cut back on sugar. I was good for a while and I fell off the wagon (darn holidays). I love these photos. SO gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. everything on here is so perfect.
    i want everything from your pictures.
    and i feel ya about the survival, eating to eat.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you're able to find more time to take care of yourself both physically & mentally! So important but so hard when life gets the best of you. I could not attempt to cut out sugar, though definitely need to cut back as well and replace it with healthier food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just LOVING your blog! I happened to stumble upon it, and has certainly brought a smile to my face!

    Can't wait to read more :) x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger