our day wander with pia jane bijkerk

Monday, July 1, 2013









On Saturday I gathered with five lovely ladies as we braved the elements and wandered Sydney with Pia Jane Bijkerk as our guide. Jodi, Luisa, Sophie, Steph and I bought this wonderful day during the campaign for Pia's latest book, Little Treasures: Made by Hand. We started with visits to several Surry Hills shops, where we admired handmade creations and vintage bits and bobs. Over a long lunch at Garden Life the conversation turned to motherhood, babies and birth. Only natural really with one babe in arms (Clementine) and one soon to be born (in Sophie's belly). Lunch was also the perfect opportunity to pick Pia's brain, and what an inspiring lady she is. She creates so much beauty, all the while with an eye to reducing, reusing and recycling.

With full bellies, we walked through puddles to get to Tracey Deep's studio. Behind a door in Redfern - one I never would have noticed - is a room bursting with colour and texture. Aussie blooms, branches, hessian, twine and even safety pins caught my eye. While we were there, Tracey made each of us a little floral sculpture of our very own. I ended up with two when Jodi suffered an allergic reaction to hers (sorry lady, I'll dry yours out for you!) and I can't stop staring at them. Tracey's work is just stunning - perfectly imperfect and so very Australian.

Finally we enjoyed a fairytale tea while listening to the pitter patter of rain on a tin roof. Beautiful, generous Steph gave each of us a handmade flower press and Pia sent us off with one more little gift: a glass bottle with a write up of our day. Like a mini holiday, I left exhausted but inspired to enhance the everyday. To my fellow wanderers, thank you for the company and for the helping hands with Clementine. I hope we can do it again someday, maybe in Queensland next?

Photos 2, 7 & 8 taken by Luisa with my camera. Photo 9 taken by Pia, also with my camera.

12 comments:

  1. It was simply a magic day! So delightful to meet you and wished we had more chance to chat. Yes, I think another wander would be grand x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! What a lovely gathering of like minds. I would love to have been a fly on the wall during your delightful wanderings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved wandering around with you all! Looks magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what an amazing day! So many wonderful moments. It was such a delight to finally meet you and beautiful Clementine. And I totally agree, we need to make it happen again someday soon!
    Sophie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant way to spend a day - it sounds and looks like you all had a lovely time! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a magical way to have spent a day. The photos are beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful, great that you were able to take Clementine! Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautifully wonderful captures!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a wonderful day! And such a great group of lovely and talented ladies!! Kristina x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful way to spend a perfect day!

    p.s. If you like children's art and personalized jewelry, 'm Having a Giveaway on my blog - Art Print and Jewelry up for Grabs.

    Cheers Reese!
    http://www.reesecarrozzini.com
    http://www.rambleswithreese.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger