her name

Thursday, August 15, 2013


As promised, here is the story of Clementine's name...

We spent a lot of time when I was pregnant trying to choose a name for our future son/daughter. I even wrote a post about it, where I wrote that my husband and I have very different tastes in names. I'm still hoping for a son named Cedar someday, and he's still repeating, "how about William?"

Eventually we found a few girls' names that we agreed on and this became our shortlist. They were old fashioned English names - one was my preference, one was his preference and one we both liked equally. Clementine was one of them. I loved the sound of it, the fact that it can be pronounced in my other languages, the built in lullaby and it even passed the syllable test! When it came to boys' names, however, we couldn't agree on anything. In the end, we had just one name that I wasn't even crazy about.

Moments after Clementine was placed on my chest, someone in the room reminded us to check for the sex. My husband announced that it was a girl, and I cried and kissed her head over and over. I was so surprised that I actually asked him to check again! (On a side note, we are both so happy that we waited to find out our baby's gender. Initially, my husband wanted to find out as soon as possible but I vetoed him. He now admits that the surprise was one of the best things about having a baby!) He immediately asked me if I'd like to name her Clementine, as it was my top pick for a girls' name. Overwhelmed and worried about making the wrong decision I stuttered, "yes! no! I don't know."

So our little girl remained nameless for about 2 days. My husband generously told me that it was my decision - I could choose any of the 3 names on our shortlist and he would be happy. In the hospital we tried calling her these 3 names, and even starting singing 'Oh my darling.' In the end I knew it would be Clementine. My husband and I shook on it and it was a done deal. My last name is her middle name, and my husband and her share the same surname.

I worried so much about choosing the "perfect" name and now that she's here I know that we have. She is most certainly our darling Clementine. I love that when people hear her name they sound surprised, and then exclaim what a beautiful name it is. I love that it's easy to spell and pronounce. I love its meaning. And I love that since she's been born I've discovered other "Clementine" songs (thanks to Claire and Gentri): one from Megan Washington and this one from Sara Jaffe.

Tell me, did you have as hard a time as we did naming your kids?

p.s. these photos were taken by my friend Ellen, of Ellen Arthur photography. I'll be sharing the rest of them soon.

23 comments:

  1. Wow. SO BEAUTIFUL. I love her name and this sweet story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I want my baby to just be born with a name please ... the responsibility of picking the right one .. even the thought of it is too much for me!

    My name is Maria and there are like .. well .. I guess I wouldnt even lie if I say there are THOUSANDS of songs and prayers with my name in it. I hate it though. I dislike the sound and the meaning of my name and I wish my Mum wouldve sticked to her first choice. I came very very early (week 30 I think) and everyone was pretty freaked out about my health .. so she wanted me to have a Christian name, all of a sudden. Boo.

    Clementine, how ever, is (in my ears) very unique and special. I hope she will be happy with your choice once she's old enough to have her own opinion of what makes a nice name ;)

    Lots of love (love the pictures, as always, she is just too precious)

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clementine is a beautiful name! She will have as beautiful life, I'm sure of it! My sis is planning a baby, so of course she keeps thinking about possible names too, there are too many to pick from though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that when you say her name the first thing people will this is "oh my darling". I had carried around my daughters name Claudine since i was a child. it is the name of my favourite character in an enid blyton series. i struggled more with the boys name too, in the end we were rotating between two favourites, one I liked the sound off, Findlay, and one the name of a favourite uncle Tom so used them both x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of get obsessed with picking out names - and I'm nowhere near having children! I think you certainly found the right name for her, and love how unique and special it is. And that you can sing a song that feels like it's just for her. While this is nowhere near the same thing (and I mean nowhere near!!) I recently changed my foster dog's name when I adopted her, and went with Layla.. so that she'd have a song for singing (Eric Clapton's tune). That may be my way of choosing names.. fingers crossed my children like music. Bless that sweet baby girl and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love hearing the story behind her pretty name, and interesting about the syllable test! i've never heard of that before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such beautiful story! and beautiful photos!
    my husband and I agreed on our babies names since we were dating! ha! cheesy??? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sweet! and these photos are gorgeous I can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was born I remained nameless for about a week! Everyone just called me pinky because I came out so pink. How I ended up with the name Freya, I'll never know. My mum, dad and grandmother all claim credit for coming up with the name. It's a mystery ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for this beautiful story. I have loved the name Clementine already, now it sounds even sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful name....it suits her perfectly! ANd such a lovely story of how she was named. Hope all is lovely with you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clementine was almost my daughter Margot's middle name, but at the last moment we chose Jane. It's a beautiful name for a beautiful babe. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. literally i adore her name. . . now i'm off to convince husband that we need a little clem in our lives. ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful photos. and i love her name.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a gorgeous name -I love names that have real meaning behind them. My daughter was easy to name, we called her flicker the first time we saw her heart beat on a scan and nick named her flick. So she's Felicity, but we still call her flick more often than not. My son we named William because each of us had a William as a great grandfather. He is known a Billy though. His middle name is ocean which is a bit odd but was my surfer husbands choice and actually suits him perfectly. We are currently in negotiations for our second son. Nothing seems to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh she is so beautiful, and her name is precious. Love the story behind it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely story. I'm sure when clementine is older she'll love finding out her name story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the name Clementine ! With 4 children we had our share of name-choosing standoffs, and with our last two daughters, even though we had more or less settled on a name before the birth, I changed my mind and the very last minute (on my way to theatre for a c-section) both times and we chose new names. I don't like to chose the name too early or I get bored with it before the baby is born.

    ReplyDelete
  19. that last pictures is so incredibly beautiful. and her name is perfect. i really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. she is such a little peanut and i absolutely adore her name.
    good work mom and pop!~

    xo The Egg

    ReplyDelete
  21. such a pretty name and I love that it has a story with it too. we had a hard time coming up with names and our youngest son Flynn was actually named by our oldest son, and that make sit even more special in my mind xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love reading about Clementine's name. Sounds perfect and so sweet. Stu and I have prepared 2 names too - one for a boy and one for a girl (we're looking forward to find out the gender of our baby too)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, you know I loved this post so much that I repubbed it on VV. THanks for linking up with the Rewind last week, Gaby. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger