Kinfolk Australia

Friday, November 22, 2013


This week I was lucky enough to attend two Kinfolk events: a media day and a dinner at Glenmore House. I had been trying to get along to one of their events for ages, so I was pinching myself that I got to spend two days in a row in the beautiful world of Kinfolk.

Earlier this week a small group of bloggers, artists, photographers and creatives gathered in the stunning home of Jessie James to meet Kinfolk's Co-Founder, Katie Searle-Williams, and Community Director, Julie Pointer. In between bites of yummy food (thank you Mario's Kitchen) I got to chatting with the girls about life in Portland, travel, family, and celebrating Christmas in the "wrong" climate. I was delighted to hear that Kinfolk is doing a feature soon on just this  alternative ways to celebrate Christmas, going beyond the traditional Christmas tree. I was also excited to learn of Kinfolk's Canadian connection; its Founding Editor, Nathan Williams, is Canadian and the magazine is printed in Vancouver.

I find it amazing that Katie and Nathan were able to create something so wildly successful pretty much straight out of college. And that their work has spread way beyond the magazine is also quite impressive. Their vision to foster small gatherings has quite literally become reality with dinners, workshops and events being held all over the world. In no small part thanks to Julie, who organises so many of these gatherings worldwide. Talking to Katie and Julie, it was obvious how driven and passionate they are about their work, and about their co-workers and contributors, who seem like family to them.

The next day my friend Katie and I drove out to Glenmore House for the largest ever Kinfolk dinner. The venue was completely perfect; Katie said it made her feel like she was back at home in the English countryside.

After getting snacks from the grazing table  a big farmhouse style table piled high with bread, cheese, nuts, crackers, strawberries, grapes, cherries and more we sat down at the longest table I had ever seen. As you would expect from a Kinfolk gathering, every little detail from the menus to the flowers was perfect . Like a pinterest fairytale. The food came out family style, and as we shared with our neighbours we got to know and laugh with new friends. The highlights? A fig, mozzarella and caramelised onion pizza and a rose and almond rice pudding. It was a truly memorable evening and I just have to say thank you again to Luisa, and to Jaclyn for organising it.

16 comments:

  1. Oooohhhhhhh Gaby!!!! Your description of the event made me cry. It was really hard to take it all in on the day but I'm slowly going through all the blog posts coming out now and this is where I find joy in putting the Kinfolk events together - that at the end of the day we get to bring all the creatives together for a bit of gathering and make new friends along the way. Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart for attending and your most beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all looks incredible, Gaby! So pleased you found some time to nourish your soul - being the mother of a littler person can vanquish beauty and perspective so easily from the everyday. Beautiful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds absolutely amazing! I am so jealous! I just finally got hold of The Kinfolk Table cookbook and I can not believe how utterly wonderful it is.. the recipes, pictures and the stories are just divine. Hopefully I'll get to attend a Kinfolk event one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so so so so so so so jealous! I love Kinfolk. I want to live there. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHat a magnificent time you must have had! Everything looks so magical xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky! I have the cookbook and magazine subscription on my Christmas wishlist this year! So glad to see that you managed some time to seek (and obviously receive!) inspiration from such dynamic people! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing evening to take part in Gaby! I absolutely love Kinfolk, their aesthetic and photography are incredibly dreamy, and I'm thrilled you were able to share this special event with us!! Yay!!!

    xo
    By The Shore, a life + style blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gah! So jealous! Going to a kinfolk event is high on my bucket list! Your pictures are lovely! Definitely looks likes Pinterest fairy tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WONDERFUL! I am so jealous! lovely, lovely photos. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!! i'm so jealous. kinfolk is brilliant and their events look so amazing, i bet the food was so good! glad you enjoyed yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow- looks amazing. Kinfolk is so clever and inspiring- love how you captured these Gaby. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gaby, what a beautiful event - beautiful food, people and surroundings! I remember a picture of the latest Kinfolk from your trip to Vancouver. Did you purchase locally when you were there? I live in Powell River just up the coast from Van. Kinfolk is not available in my small town and as we visit Vancouver often, I wondered if you can tell me where you can buy a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a treat! i was really good friends with nate and katie in college. we had a lot of classes together, they're great people. glad you enjoyed the events! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. The magazine is printed in Vancouver?! Do you have a subscription? I'm thinking about gifting it to myself for Christmas:) How incredible that you were able to attend one of their events!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger