my day on a plate

Tuesday, January 28, 2014



I've always been a bit nosy, and I just love getting peeks inside peoples' fridges or glimpses of their meals. So today, for my fellow nosy friends, I bring you my day on a plate. These meals and snacks are from a midweek day last week. I ate breakfast and lunch on my own and ate dinner with my husband.

A couple of other notes: When I see these photos I realise that I probably could have eaten more veggies that day, but oh well. I'm also showing you a day where I kept my sweet tooth in check, but I have to admit that it's a constant battle. And finally, I just thought I'd mention that while I'm normally a vegetarian, I have been eating fish since becoming a breastfeeding mum. So technically, I'm a pescatarian right now. My husband is an omnivore but most of the meals we eat at home are vegetarian. Really, this is a whole other post in and of itself but if you're interested to know more, I highly recommend the book Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Breakfast: Steel cut oats (soaked overnight) mixed with milk, some maple syrup and banana. Oatmeal is said to be good for breastfeeding mums so I eat a lot of the stuff!

Lunch: Quesadilla, black beans and avocado (also supposed to be good for milk supply). Hands down my favourite lunch, ever.

Dinner: Curried quinoa cakes with cilantro red pepper sauce (from the e-course Whole Food Kitchen) and salad. 

Morning snack: Natural yoghurt (I buy the Jalna biodynamic organic whole milk yoghurt) with pepitas and blueberries. 

Afternoon snack: Big green smoothie (spinach, orange, banana, blueberries, flaxseed oil, bee pollen, and chia seeds) in my favourite glass. 

What have you been eating lately?

14 comments:

  1. Good idea for a blog post, I'm always nosy about what other people eat! Although you've put me to shame, I've been eating way too much sugar lately, time for a cleanse I think. Your lunch in particular looks yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so healthy and yummy! I'm doing a lot of spinach and berries smoothies too

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look delicious! what a great idea for a post...although, my food would not look this delicious, i'm afraid. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some beautiful looking tomatoes, I did a double take!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved to see what you eat :) you are SO healthy compared to me. wow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I'm literally eating everything and anything! So loving my food right now. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, looks like you got it all worked out!
    I have porridge with apples for breakkie with coffee.
    Then on these hot days I am having a salad for lunch with whatever I can find in the fridge.
    Frozen berries & yoghurt as my afternoon snack, often with my 2nd cup of coffee and then I love Shakshuka for dinner right now, and grilled vegetables. And out of time shortage I became a little addicted to vegetarian chicken nuggets lately.
    However non of my meals looks as nice... I gotta pick up my game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S: Did I tell you how addicted I am to that Jalna Yoghurt? It's the most delicious one in the world! I have it with berries as well pretty much every day! Dalston loves it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i need to read that book!! i'm really in to paleo right now, because this is my second time doing whole30 - and i'm addicted to the way it makes me feel, better than ever! but i also watched 'forks over knives' and hate that i eat so much meat...i really try to increase the vegetable aspect though. anyway, i'm all torn in my heart a little!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you documented the food you ate during the day. What a great idea. Plus this all looks so good right now. mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE! these plates look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your day on a plate puts mine to shame! What with the lack of sleep that goes with being a new-ish mom, I've been stress-eating bread like crazy. That said, I've really been loving greek yoghurt with honey and oatmeal-quinoa granola. I'm always trying to get more greens into my diet, too... juices and smoothies happen a lot in my house. I wish I had it in me to nibble on kale like a rabbit but I just can't do it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger