on our own (for the week)

Friday, January 24, 2014





My husband's been out of town this week for work so it's been just Clementine and I. To be honest, I was slightly terrified at the thought but it's all worked out perfectly. We've had one of those lovely weeks with long naps, library sing-a-longs and lots of play time with friends. I'm just realising lately how much happier Clementine is when other kids are around. She just adores babies, and kids too. Whenever she sees another baby, she crawls over quick as she can, starts giggling and then goes in for a pash. She's the cutest.

I'm also a bit proud, because in the absence of my husband I managed to be fairly productive and even ate well! I tend to eat a lot of toast when left to my own devices but lately I've been better at shopping, meal planning and cooking. Green leafy vegetables and lots of pulses have been making their way into the kitchen and I feel great as a result. Of course, there have been some sweets too. I made these almond & chocolate pots de creme, and they were delicious. So nice with a cup of tea (and the air conditioning on). I'm thinking of posting 'our day on a plate' next week, so stay tuned for that.

Lastly, see those little passport photos up there? Well they're for the little one's Canadian citizenship application. It was practically impossible to get a photo of her not smiling so this was the best we got. And after stalling for months, I sent off the paperwork and now I'm getting excited. Soon our daughter will have two citizenships, and then all that's left to do is for me to get my Australian citizenship and for the husband to become a Canadian citizen. So much bureaucracy!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely week! I too get a bit nervous at the thought of a solo parenting week (or weeks!) There is something very reassuring about another person walking in the door at the end of every day, isn't' there...And I too get very lazy when there's no husband to cook for!

    Good luck wrangling bureaucracy - it's so annoying the hoops you have to jump through. We are considering getting Dutch passports for the kids but my brain can't really take the paperwork just now!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lou - totally barging in here on Gaby's comments... We have tried for years to get Matt a Dutch/EU passport to little avail despite his Dad being Dutch. Good luck - it hurts my brain!

      Delete
  2. glad to hear you've been managing well without the husband ;) cute pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so validating as a parent when you're left to your own devices and you come out a-okay! I always felt a little bit nervous when my husband would go out of town, but now I take it as an opportunity to make some very special "just mama" memories for our boys. I tend to spoil them just a bit too!

    p.s.- that dessert looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it terribly complicated to get them a canadian citizenship. it has sat on my to do list for 3.5 years now! can't handle all the paperwork i assume it would involve! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a lucky family you will be with the freedom to live on both sides of the world :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pistachios look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being the solo parent is always a little daunting at first! But, you walk away from the experience with this sense of accomplishment! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with the passport photo of your wee one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yah for being on your own! i just finished two weeks of being a single mom and it was so hard...(as in, i was kind of happy when it was bedtime) but on the other hand...a lot easier! i feel like when mark is around we're constantly wondering if someone is going to do something, but when its just me, i just do it and have fun and wesley and i can just chill. but...my new heroes are single moms, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To get my daughter to not smile for her passport, we told her we forgot about lunch and she would have to wait for dinner. Needless to say, she looks pretty bummed.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger