this & that

Thursday, January 30, 2014


I've been very much enjoying writing these kinds of posts lately; it's nice just to write what's on my mind without worrying about finding the perfect sentence or the best photo. Here's what I'm thinking about today:

  • My husband's grandfather died unexpectedly on the weekend. We are all very sad but I'm grateful that there was time for us to say a proper goodbye. He was a wonderful man.
  • In happier news, my mom booked a flight to come and visit us in March. I am so excited!
  • This week I'm reading Frugavore, but I have to admit that I'm finding myself a bit discouraged as most of her ideas involve having a backyard and eating meat. Not to be a downer though, it is a great book.
  • Since growing our own food will not be happening in our inner city flat, I'm considering joining the local community garden.
  • I love that Clementine has been shot by some of my favourite photographers, including him and him in the last week. Can't wait to share!
  • And speaking of photos, I just ordered a few more photo books from Artifact Uprising. I'm excited to see our Colombia pictures printed.
  • While my husband was away last week I watched Blue Jasmine (brilliant and utterly depressing) and About Time (disappointing).
  • I'm feeling a bit nostalgic as I go through Clementine's newborn clothes choosing pieces to lend to a friend who will soon be having a baby girl.
  • Spending time with Kellie and her gorgeous bump yesterday also brought back some memories! 
  • Last night I made this dahl and it was delicious.
  • I'm missing my bicycle.
  • I'm thinking of doing a no-buy month (nothing but the essentials). I'm trying to get my friend on board because I think I can do it if someone's holding me to it…
What's up with you lately?

11 comments:

  1. So sorry for your family's loss Gaby.
    Love and prayers,
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's disappointing that you found About Time disappointing (!) I went in without any expectations and I actually hate scifi so wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. But then I did really relate to the "Dad stuff" because my Dad was sick for a long time before he died so I suppose I had that layer to it as well. Blue Jasmine is near the top of my list but keeps being passed because I know it will be depressing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it memories of the last time you had to swim in your undies?! Ha! It was a really lovely afternoon .... Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about Clementine's great-grandfather passing. What a lucky baby she is to have been born with her great-grandparent alive. Good genes (and young parents!).

    It's wonderful news that your mum is coming over. Yay! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your loss! I am doing a no buy month as well. As we just got the puppy and lot's of furniture and holiday etc. So I thought it would be nice for Feb, to not buy anything but essentials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to hear about your loss. My grandfather died about a month ago--and it sure is hard to cope with death.
    But on the happier side--mom visits are always something to look forward to! yay!
    And I did a "no-spend" month in september: we called it no spendtember. ha! it was so fun and surprisingly invigorating! I want to do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely lovely that you got to see your grandfather recently and even better that your Mum has booked to come over again. Love to see the photo books when they arrive and what your postage costs ended up being to Australia. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww so sorry for your loss :( We have a little tiny patio for a backyard which isn't much but we do have a tomato plant every summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your family's loss, Gaby, through I'm sure he felt incredibly loved.
    I loved Blue Jasmine - Sam and I talked about it for hours afterward (god, can you tell we're in the arts?) and it's so lovely to know your mother is visiting again! Yay! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so sorry for your loss. We are thinking about you guys xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger