green thumb

Tuesday, February 25, 2014



I've never had a green thumb. I grew up in inner-city apartments and didn't have my first backyard until my husband and I moved in together. For about a year we lived in a funny old house with a big backyard that we mostly ignored. I mean, I loved, loved, loved having a yard to to enjoy but we never did any gardening per se. Once in a blue moon my husband would mow the lawn but that was about it.

When our landlords sold that house we moved into an apartment. In many ways it was a huge improvement on the house (no mice! built in storage! a proper bathroom with a toilet!) but with one majordrawback: no yard. Not even a balcony. Because of this, I've found myself craving green over the years but I've always ended up killing any plant that passes through our door.

Recently I was inspired again, so I picked up two succulents at our neighbourhood nursery. They really do make the apartment feel homier and I love the simple act of taking care of something and watching it grow. I've had them for a couple of months now, and they seem to be doing well. So well that I'm thinking of branching out and trying something other than succulents. Maybe someday I will have a green thumb after all...

13 comments:

  1. I was always the ultimate plant killer but have seemed to have kept quite a few alive lately. I've been following my Mum's rule (she is the ultimate green thumb!) of about half a glass of water a day (not the succulents!) and it seems to be working. Always love some indoor green xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently acquired my own set of succulents too. I don't have the means (or energy!) to control a whole yard at the moment, but my cactus and my succulent are a wonderful alternative. They make me feel so satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love succulents. So fresh and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little green freshens any home. It's good to start small too. You've got enough on your plate caring for Clementine. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel you! We live in an apartment with no backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. too pretty! I always kill my plants! and I really do try though ;(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have more plants in house but with cats it's kind of hard. These are so cute by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. succulents are the happiest little plants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your succulents look beautiful. i'm working on my green thumb as well - although i somehow managed to kill my last succulent plant! i didn't even know that was possible...i have a lot to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just stumbled across your blog today. I have a 5 month old baby girl named Clementine! I was so excited when I saw that your little dear is named Clementine as well as it is such a rare name. You have a lovely life! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool! It's a great name :) Do you know the Clementine songs by Megan Washington and Sarah Jaffe? x

      Delete
  11. You chose well, I think! Succulents are pretty hard to kill. They are all over our house right now and I agree, bringing a bit of green inside makes a huge difference in the feel of a home. I can't live without them!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

this little port All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger