sakura bloom sling diaries: confidence

Tuesday, February 11, 2014



When I was pregnant I had a lot of ideas about the kind of parent I wanted to be. I carefully researched all things pregnancy and birth related and confidently made certain decisions that went against the norm, such as declining 2 out of 3 routine ultrasounds and not doing a test for gestational diabetes. I felt in control of my pregnancy, and healthy and strong. Then labour and birth came along, and I was reminded that I am not, as Gurmukh says, "the great Doer of all things." I learned that I was not in total control and I surrendered.

As we stumbled along those early weeks of parenting, we were given so much advice, so much of it conflicting. A pattern that repeats itself to this day. The only difference is that now, I have the confidence to say, "I know my baby better than anyone else in the world, and I trust myself to make decisions for her wellbeing."

I think that this is one of the hardest things about becoming a parent, because it sometimes means going against the grain or disagreeing with people you respect. It's taken me some time to get to this point, and I know I still have a way to go. But when I see these photos of my smiling baby girl, wrapped in linen against my chest, I know that she is healthy, happy and safe. What more could I hope for?

I'm thrilled to be included in a group of 17 other mums and dads, documenting the art of babywearing for the Sakura Bloom Sling Diaries, vol iv. 

I wear Clementine in the simple sling in wheat.

A huge thank you to Tim, for being awesome and for taking these photos. Clementine just loved being shot by him and was totally hamming it up!

19 comments:

  1. Stunning, Gaby!
    And you're absolutely right - you must do what you know in your gut is right for you and your Clementine... :)
    Love,
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim always does such a beautiful job in capturing moments like these. Wow.

    I am also so glad you can dance to your own rhythm in your parenting. Mother knows best after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful words Gaby! and so true, I can relate so much, as first time moms people try to give advice and although they mean well sometimes you have to respectfully disagree and go with your gut... Clem does looks so happy and healthy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love her comb-over, my claud had one of those until she was two! how wonderful to have such fantastic photos of the two of you together, i'm never in pics with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh Gaby, these are so beautiful! It makes me really want to take up babywearing again but my nearly-1 year old weighs an ungodly amount! I am so happy I discovered your blog, it makes for beautiful, inspiring reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful Gaby! The words, you and of course THAT BABY!

    I really, really loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. I must admit, even after 8 months I still struggle with confidence as a mother. This is such a perfect reminder that I am the one who knows my daughter best. Thanks for sharing these words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Clem's little smiles! And she is getting freckles just like momma! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I think one of the best things about being a mother is knowing you know that little person better than anyone in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you - learning to trust yourself and the job you're doing as a parent is a wonderful thing. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true. And kind of why I'm looking forward to having a second baby one day. I just know I'll trust my instincts so much more than the early days of my first born. Not that I'd change them but it'd be nice to feel more relaxed with a newborn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this, its great to know that we have mothers instinct and we can really know more than anyone else. I'm loving the wheat color sling! Such beautiful photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. zomg! your baby is so adorable!

    styleandchocolates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. good on you for having this confidence. especially when you're going against the mainstream way of doing things. it's all about trusting your own instincts and i think it took me until baby 2 to really get that and be sure of myself. rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. These photos are so beautiful - I knew I was going to be blown away by Tim! You're doing such a fantastic job as a mum, Gaby. It's been an incredible thing to watch unfold : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this post. When I finally stopped listening to everyone, trusting myself my confidence grew and grew when I had our babes. x
    P.s Beautiful photos as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully said Gaby. And my gosh, I love these photos + your video of Clementine was seriously adorable!! She's the sweetest!! <3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger