another goodbye

Friday, March 28, 2014


My mom left yesterday, and, as always, I'm left in a funk after yet another airport goodbye. I know I harp on about it a bit, but I really do wish we lived closer to my family, especially now that we have our own family. Having my mom here was just so nice. My husband works crazy (and unpredictable) hours, and so most of the time it's just Clementine and I. With my mom around, the everyday tasks of parenting a baby were made so much easier. Everything from mealtimes to car trips went smoother with an extra set of hands. And I feel like I finally got caught up on some sleep because my mom let me sleep in until 8/8:30am in the morning (after a quick breastfeed around 5am).

Even when we were just sitting at home, reading or resting while the baby napped, it was great to have my mom around. There's so much comfort to be found in the company of family.

Now that she's gone, I'm doing my best to take it easy and go gently. I've been eating the leftovers from meals she made, using a few more disposable diapers than I normally do and not scheduling too much. Sometime soon we'll be booking our flights to Vancouver for the summer, and then the countdown will be on. I can't wait.

8 comments:

  1. Well this way at least you can appreciate your Mum a little bit more :) I'm sure she was just as sad to leave you! Your Mum looks great by the way!

    Lots of love
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how heart wrenching it must be at times to be tethered between two countries. It sounds like you are being incredibly kind on yourself and that's great. Go gently sweet lady and may you Mum's love guide you through your days :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you Gaby...
    Hugs,
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as my son was born, it got so much harder to be far from my mama. I also spend huge stretches of time with my son while my husband works crazy hours and I recently hired a mothers helper. It's so nice to have someone around a couple days a week. I always joke that it takes a village to raise a child and if you don't have one, buy one. I really wish my mom was here instead of course but this is the next best thing I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful photos and words Gaby! hopefully time will run fast and you'll be in Vancouver soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's heart-wrenching. Go gently.
    Sending love and light, dear lady.
    Sar xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since our baby girl is vorn I miss my family like you. Everything is happier and easier. And the baby likes it much more..I really understand your lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The older I get the more I realize that I really wish I were closer to my mom as well. We are also somewhat "stuck" where we are for now because of my guy's job but I do hope that one day soon (when we start a little family); that we'll be closer and I'll get those great moments with my mom before she gets much older.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger