pre-birthday

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

the candles I gave to my friends at my blessingway / photo of me and my girl by Tim / photo of me and my belly by Belinda / an Artifact Uprising photo book / birthday crown I made last week / booties I made when I was pregnant (and I thought baby would be a boy!)

It's funny, but ever since Clementine turned 11 months old my thoughts have been consumed with her coming birthday. I feel this tremendous sense of urgency to get all of my little projects done, like her baby book and her journal. And I know it's a cliché, but I really am shocked that my baby girl is about to turn 1 and enter toddlerhood. How did this happen? As May 5 draws nearer, I can't help but reminisce. I think about my belly and how that squirmy little thing has turned into this whirling ball of activity. I think about my birth week - how long and intense it was, how wonderful it felt to hold my baby, how my heart felt like it would burst. I think about that first week at home, when it was just the three of us. Pure magic.

Along with all of the reminiscing, I've also been preparing for her birthday. We've organised a little Mexican party to celebrate our cinco de mayo girl, and while we're going to keep it simple there are still lists to make, and projects to complete. And then I get to thinking about gifts. On the invitations, we've written 'no gifts please' because she really does have enough, and our apartment can't house much more. Even still, I'd like to give her something special and I've had my heart set on a Steiner doll. Finding the perfect one (for a reasonable price) has proved harder than expected though, so I'm still not sure what she'll be unwrapping come her birthday morning.

Of course, no discussion of a birthday would be complete without talking about cake! So far, Clementine hasn't had any sugar and I don't want to break the streak so I'm turning to my favourite whole foods blogs like this one and this one, to find the perfect "healthy" cake. I've made this one before, so it's a contender, as is this one.

Tell me, did any of you go into a frenzy when your babies turned 1? Or is it just me...

8 comments:

  1. I remember your beautiful belly this time last year- and how the year has flown! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cinco de mayo party? How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't wait to see everything you're doing to celebrate clementine's first birthday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how committed you are to bringing your daughter up healthily (particularly without sugar). I hope that if I bring a bundle of joy into the world, that I can do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that Clem doesn't eat sugar... it's such horrible stuff + I can't wait to see how her cake turns out, exciting! Crazy she'll be one, eeep, time slow down!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter turned a year old in January. Months before, my husband and I planned on having a fun dance party with all our friends since the babe loves dancing and music, but the holidays got hectic and we just had cake at my parents the day of. It was kind of nice because it was low key and a lot less stressful then running around taking care of guests and whatnot. Maybe next year we'll do something. The doll is a great idea. We got one for Luna when she was about 6 months old and she treats it like her real baby. She even pretends to nurse it just like her mama does. It's very special seeing your children mirror your parenting with their "babies," go for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are in the same boat, Gaby! Amelia hasn't had any sugar yet (people are always so surprised that she doesn't drink juice!) and I don't really want to introduce it to her on her birthday of all things. I've heard good things about banana cakes for little ones, and flowerless chocolate cake made with black beans. Let me know if you find any good recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say the same thing... girls... let me tell you what happens with your SECOND child (it isn't pretty!) haha. I saw Sofia giving Alba jellybeans out of her Easter eggs and Abuela is partial to letting her try sips of juice because it's "just so cute!" >_< I was all about doing a raw rainbow cake for her, but am finding it hard to deal with the judgement of others. It's almost as if I should be more lax now or something? Anyway. I've heard wonderful things about the chocolate cake with black beans. I'll have to track down that recipe. Happy birthday season, you two!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger