cinco de mayo 1st birthday party

Wednesday, May 7, 2014



A few hours after Clementine was born, we were sitting in our hospital room talking and we realised that it was the 5th of May (it had been a long week). We decided then and there that for Clementine's first birthday we would throw a big Mexican fiesta, in honour of our cinco de mayo girl.

On Sunday afternoon, we did just that. Our friends and family gathered in my husband's parents' backyard to celebrate Clementine turning one. It was a perfect autumn day (just like the day she was born) and we played outside until the sun went down and extra layers were needed.

As for the party itself, I tried to avoid the pressure to create the "perfect" first birthday (no Pinterest for me…). We kept it simple and sweet, with little details like a store bought piƱata and colourful bunting to decorate. I was so excited to wear our first matching mother/daughter outfits - beautiful Mexican dresses and tights. We served coronas and kept the food easy with a make your own taco bar and lots of tortilla chips. For dessert, I made mango cheesecake, brownies and these zucchini cupcakes. Clementine got one of the cupcakes and oh my, did she ever enjoy it! In fact, she seemed to enjoy the whole day very much. She was sweet and giggly, slightly confused by all the attention but happy to be playing with her friends and eating cake!

Some details:

  • The invites were designed by my friend Alanna of Bitter Red
  • My mother in law made the oilcloth bunting and Clementine's bib (along with cooking, cleaning and decorating!)
  • We used these free printables to decorate
  • My dress is a Little Tienda dress (borrowed from Theresa, thanks lady!) and Clementine's is a hand me down from her cousin who lived in Mexico
  • the photos of Clementine and I were taken by Pia

15 comments:

  1. No problem! You look fabulous ;)

    Ah, where do I start? I am still totally upset we missed it. It looked like so much fun - the birthday girl was such a delight. I am definitely going to give the zucchini cupcakes a go!

    Seriously. She's killing me with that bow on her head! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a magical time for you all! I can't wait to see the birthday girl!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. zucchini cupcakes sound so good! and i love that you didn't pinterest it...i have a friend who's daughter is about to turn one, and she was given advice not to plan on pinterest either. takes the pressure off and lets you enjoy it more! happy birthday to clementine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute, and looks like such a fun party! Love the dress you borrowed it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it! que hermosa senorita Clementina! looks like a perfect fiesta...feliz cumple otra vez ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awh, what a beautiful happy party this looks. Congratulations on your first year mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful party...even more beautiful little clementine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful! This looks like it was a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks gorgeous, Gaby! One is such a momentous milestone, so worthy of a celebration - of baby and of Mum. Hooray for Clementine a and hooray for you! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple and sweet is best and it turned out totally super!! I'm all for easy, I'm the worst pinterest girl ever!! ;) What a beautiful celebration and both you and Clem look beautiful in your outfits. Also, love the new header... I'm obsessed with that font!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. The birthday was beautiful! My family is Mexican so we I really loved the theme! I have two batas (or nightgowns) I bought last time I was in Mexico and they're identical to your dress, one is blue and the other white linen and much longer. I don't wear them because the neckline makes it hard to nurse, but I might have them shortened and bust them out. Congratulations on passing the year mark, it only gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that looks like such a great party!!! and the birthday girl and her mama are both all smiles and so gorgeous :) I especially love the photo where you're smiling (laughing?) at her and her belly button is poking out of her shirt! so sweet. Also, the invitation is fabulous…I'm a sucker for a beautiful card! Congrats Gaby and Clem and family!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is actually the most precious of things! I've said it before, but Happy Birthday little Clem :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous gorgeous girls! Looks like such a beautiful day! And I'm so inspired by that oilcloth bunting and bib, how cute! xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger