for the love of tv

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

completely unrelated photo because my TV is not at all photogenic

Lest you came away from this post thinking I'm a book snob who only ever reads, I'm here to tell you that I love TV. For so many reasons (here's a good list), I enjoy watching TV shows and found that I watched more after having a baby. Blame it on all that time spent at home nursing and watching the baby nap. Broken down into a few categories, here are some of my favourites:

Shows that are cancelled: Big Love, Sex and the City, Gilmore Girls, Flight of the Conchords, The Vicar of Dibley, Black Books and 30 Rock. I had been telling my husband about 30 Rock for years, but he only just got into it a few months ago. Re-watching it was just as good as watching it the first time; it is quite possibly my favourite show ever made. I love Tina Fey. And if you've never heard of The Vicar of Dibley, do yourself a favour and go watch it! I wouldn't necessarily call myself an Anglophile, but I do have a weakness for British film and TV. The English sense of humour just kills me. Speaking of which, Black Books would also have to be in my top 3, and if you're a Black Books fan, click here.

Shows I watch with my husband: Homeland, The Newsroom, Game of Thrones, Elementary, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Seinfeld. To be honest, all the violence and gore in Game of Thrones finally got to me (hello red wedding) and I didn't watch the whole last season. I still can't decide if I'll go back to it. I'm bummed that The Newsroom is only getting one more season, but I am eagerly awaiting it. And as for Homeland, not sure how I feel about Brody being gone, but I'll give it a shot.

Guilty pleasures: Arctic Air, Hart of Dixie, The Bachelor. Oh man, I can't believe I just admitted to watching these. For the first time ever, I'm watching The Bachelor. I have to say that my favourite thing about it is reading these recaps the day after and also rehashing last night's episodes with a good friend of mine. I really hope that no one is ever listening in on our conversations because we sound ridiculous! As for Hart of Dixie, yeah, that one just keeps getting worse and worse but I can't stop watching. And I'm team George, in case you were wondering…

A few others: Downton Abbey, Girls, Orange is the New Black, Offspring. I think you all know by now that I can't get enough of Offspring. It's most definitely my favourite Australian show, and just as much as the show, I love obsessing over Nina's wardrobe and home. Oh, and I cannot wait for Downton Abbey to come back!

And because I'm a hypocrite, I've been thinking a lot about Clementine's TV consumption. Katrina Kenison has a really good chapter in this book about going TV free, and while I agree with everything she says, I just can't seem to survive without it. Clementine doesn't watch a lot of TV, but I do find myself using it to distract her most days. My husband doesn't usually get home until 6, and in the period from 4 to 5pm when I'm trying to make her dinner, make our dinner and tidy up, she's grumpy. She will whine unless I'm holding her, which makes all of those tasks impossible. Inevitably I find myself turning on ABC for kids just so I can cook. I'd love to hear your thoughts on kids and TV, especially if any of you are a no-TV-household.

19 comments:

  1. First of all, I love the name Clementine. So gorgeous.
    Second of all, we share a lot of favourite TV shows! Mainly the old-school ones (Gilmore Girls, Black Books - I'm going to see Bill Bailey next week in Melbourne!!)
    Elementary and Offspring I'm addicted to! I'm a bit behind on Elementary so you've reminded me to get back on it!
    Another favourite which I think you might love is SUITS!
    x
    http://dasherlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh must check out Suits, I haven't even heard of it! x

      Delete
  2. I love TV too! Joe and I have really enjoyed "The Americans" - you know, if you're looking for more. Also, while it took us at least all of Season 1 to really commit, we like "Mad Men." I'm sad that it's going to be over as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have watched a fair bit of Mad Men, but fell off the bandwagon somewhere along the way. Are the last few seasons good?

      Delete
  3. We try to limit our little one's exposure to the TV, leaving it off as much as possible, but I won't lie that we turn it on as soon as she's in bed and veg out watching our favorite shows! Our biggest battle over screen time is the iPad. My daughter even at 9 months is constantly trying to get the iPad so we've stopped using our tablets when she can see us.

    PS: I'm team Wade on Hart of Dixie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Clementine loves the iPad and iPhones too! It's a bit scary...

      Delete
  4. Gilmore Gilrs is my all time favourite girly show! hehe can't get enough of the small town charm ;) and my husband and I are watching Game of Thrones, sometimes it is hard to watch but I can't stop at this point, need to know!!!! hahaha...and I totally agree with you on letting the babes watching some TV, supervised and for shorts periods of time, things need to get done right!? we love Sesame Street, honestly Lucas has learned a LOT from that show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gilmore Girls always makes me wish I lived in a small town!

      Delete
  5. haha,,
    i don't watch tv a lot. i even got rid of my tv in dec 2012. but there are some tv shows that i watch after the seasons completed.
    oh, i looovee Gilmore Girls (though i hate the ending). the last show that i watched were Grimm season 2 and the mentalist season 5. i think i have a lot to catch up after i read your list. i need to get back on Game of Thrones ( i read the 5 books though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to watch a lot of TV on my computer, but we do keep the TV just in case...

      Delete
  6. This is GOOD! We haven't had a TV since our last one fell off the shelf in our appartment in Paris and almost landed on our 6 month old son. Said son is no ten and a half and we haven't regretted not replacing it for one single second. BUT, we have computers and that means 24 hour access to streaming. I agree with you; having small children means spending a lot of time at home. I adore reading but, my love for sewing, knitting, etc. is further enhanced by one of my favourite series being on whilst I knit.

    So, here are mine: The Good Wife, The Newsroom (isn't it fabulous? I cannot wait for the 3rd season to start), Nashville (guilty pleasure but I love being thrown into the heart of the music business on all different levels), Masters Of Sex, Mistresses (guilty pleasure), Downton Abbey which I only finally started watching earlier this year as I didn't want to watch the same thing as everybody else. What else? I used to adore Big Love and Sex And The City, obviously.

    There are many more but I have dinner to prepare. I would urge you to watch the six-episode BBC series In The Club about six pregnant women and the drama in the respective lives. It is absolutely brilliant escapism.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, this is a good reminder to me to fix our TV on the wall…

      Love the newsroom, and i wish they would give it another season! I'll definitely check out The Club, thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  7. I have a love hate relationship with TV. We don't own a TV but we have a large iMac, so everything I watch is online. We don't pay for Netflix or Hulu Plus but typically, I just wait for shows to be uploaded on Hulu. Last Summer, my husband and I started watching Offspring and I am obsessed. I lived in Australia for a year in between my first/second year of college/university and watching makes me want to move back ASAP. I've also been binging on The Good Wife which I didn't expect to enjoy but really do. And I can't wait for Nashville and The Mindy Project to start back up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly watch my favourite shows online too, but Offspring I like to watch on the big screen. It's so good, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I love reading an honest post from someone who loves TV! Too many people poo poo it these days as though it's the devil. That said, I don't watch a lot of it, but I do love some of the shows you've listed... Homeland (is Brody reallllly gone?), Offspring, 30 Rock and Black Books (Dylan Moran is my celebrity free pass). You should try The Mighty Boosh if you haven't already.

    We do have a few TV rules here (mainly for the girls), they don't watch news or anything gory, their screen time is limited and we stick to ABC for Kids (no pay tv here) and we try to stick to Playschool and Peppa Pig. Oh, and we only have one TV. Some families we know have three TVs in the living areas and one in the master bedroom... no thank you!

    Recently I've been indulging and watching Gilmore Girls whilst the girls nap and I am pottering around the house.

    Great, fun post! Linda. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think TV nowadays is so good that it's taking the place of movies. I do the same with Clementine, Playschool and Peppa Pig and occasionally another show on ABC for kids but that's the only channel she's ever watched. x

      Delete
  9. So can I come over and watch more TV with you? TV is amazing and it's only recently that I've started to notice I like it better than movies.

    Stephen is obsessed with 6 Feet Under, he says its the best thing since sliced bread. I myself am loving Game of Thrones, Downton, Homeland, Girls and Orange is the New Black. Oh and True Detective! That show is genius :)

    p.s. Get back into GOT - it only gets better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally Sam! I keep hearing about True Detective, I need to check it out x

      Delete
  10. I love your blog. I think I found it through Cup of Jo? I have a baby girl too so that drew me in as well. :)
    My husband and I recently got really hooked on The Blacklist. I love Gilmore Girls too. You may have already heard that it will be on Netflix starting October 1st.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger