pretty as a picture dress

Tuesday, October 7, 2014



I have been wanting to make this dress for Clementine forever. Probably since the very first time I saw it in the book Handmade Beginnings, which was, in fact, before I even had a baby to sew for. But I knew that if I ever had a girl, she'd be in this dress sooner or later.

So I had the fabric (the exact fabric that's used for this dress in the book), I had the pattern, I had the baby girl but I didn't have the gumption to give it a shot. Enter my mother in law. Over three afternoons, she showed me everything from how to painstakingly transfer the right sized pattern onto paper to how to use a padded ham to press every seam perfectly. She even did some of the trickier bits herself to make sure the end result was flawless.

And it really is. When we finished it yesterday we both kept looking at it and sighing. It's just so beautiful. The buttery voile, the colours and prints, and the little one who really isn't into modelling these days.

p.s. on a completely unrelated note, the husband and I are off to see Alt-J tonight and I'm so excited it feels like Christmas!

9 comments:

  1. Firstly, this dress is adorable and Clementine looks so beautiful and grown up (for her age) in it. I love it!

    Secondly, I shall see you at Alt-J !! I'm incredibly excited

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I am such a lazy sewer and take shortcuts, don't finish things properly etc... this inspires me to actually follow a pattern and create something of note! Linda. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaby really!?? you did this?? it's so amazing! she looks so pretty in that dress! I'm sure it will be her favourite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously I need to have a daughter ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gaby, this is so, so beautiful! It's perfect for her! And the next one you make will go so much faster now you know the ins and outs! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you are one talented Lady! Miss you! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! Makes me want to sew too. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I love the pic of her hugging your legs. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger