my clover earflap hat

Thursday, November 6, 2014



I did it! A couple of weeks ago, on Instagram, I mentioned that I was attempting my most ambitious knitting project to date: the Clover Earflap Hat by Dover and Madden.

I was feeling confident after the sweater project and I figured why not? Sure I couldn't understand the pattern at all, I didn't have any of the tools or wool I needed and I had never even seen a knitting chart before… But I figured if I went slowly, one row at a time, and had my mother in law for troubleshooting, I could do it.

Pretty quickly I needed help (casting on stitches mid-row) but after that I was able to figure it out on my own. That's not to say that it was easy… After following the chart for just 3 rows, I realised that I had made a big mistake and had to unravel right back to the rows of garter stitching. The chart was confusing me, so I ended up writing out each row in a way that made sense to me (e.g. slip 1, P1 [YO, K4, SK2P, K4, YO, P1] x10).

I then noted all the repeats, which slowed me down, but kept me on track. That, combined with online knitting videos, got me through and I bound off and stitched the hat closed on Monday night, while watching the last episode of Death Comes to Pemberley.

I was absolutely thrilled and couldn't wait to put it on Clementine. Of course, the second I did (literally the second, I hadn't even tied the straps) she shouted "NO, NO, NO, NO!" and ripped it off. So yeah, she doesn't love it but I'm hoping that when we're in Canada she'll be so cold that she'll have no choice but to leave it on.

A few details: the pattern was wonderfully written and very easy to follow. I was very grateful for the step-by-step photos that accompany the instructions, and don't think I would have been able to follow a lace pattern if it hadn't been so well explained. I used Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino in the colour 340203. I made the 12-24 month size, which is a bit big but not so big that she can't wear it now.

p.s. you can find me on ravelry here

9 comments:

  1. I love reading about your knitting adventures. It reminds me of when I first started crocheting! I taught myself via youtube videos, charts, term glossary and anything else I could find. I must say I have gotten pretty good at hats. My little one hates trying them on as well. She only wears them if she knows she is going outside. I'm excited to see what you knit next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. this hat is adorable and looks like it was hard to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaby, wow, you did an amazing job with that hat. You're so talented, lady!! And yay, so excited you guys will be in Vancouver... can't wait to hook something up. Let's just hope my horrid sinus infection is gone by then - 4 weeks and counting over here. Yikes!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaby! I am so proud of you. I don't think I'll ever get the hang of stitching and knitting. You'll have to teach me all the tricks one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO cute... I am envious of your skills! I can barely even make a scarf. In fact I have tried, and failed, several times at doing so... One day.... One day I'll figure it out... Your bubba looks so sweet in this hat, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually love the colour of it. It is so gorgeous.

    This is amazing too. I would not have the slightest clue how to knit like this. Ever. Definitely talented! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't believe you actually made that! it is beyond perfect!!!
    you are so incredibly talented- wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so, so impressed. I can't follow crochet patterns, or sewing patterns. Mostly because I don't have the patience. You're my hero. She looks adorable in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. You made an heirloom! Excellent work. xox

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and if you ask me a question I'll answer you here (or by email if your email is linked to your profile) x

 

this little port © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger